Seeking Cutting Board Glue up Jig Ideas

Richiep

First off, nice boards ;-)

Clamp alternating is what I do as well.  Also, setting proper expectations is always good.  You are going to end up with some surface work no matter how many cauls you throw at it.  I use bowed cauls and this may help with pressure distribution but, does not assure a flat plane.  I plan on at least a couple of passes through the drum sander even on my best glue-up results.

• Like 1

Thanks Gee!

The "crowning" I'm talking about is related to the pressure of the clamps.  Here's a shot of a board that I trimmed and added a patch piece at the end to address the "crown".  It's not the best picture but notice the edge of the Maple strip is 1/8 of an inch lower than the center of the board.  It would have been nice to have a clear adhesive instead of Titebond III for this "fix".

598c8fa02b38c_IMG_2652(1).thumb.JPG.8c7c4427bd8246630574a2519505ac4c.JPG

5 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Ah . . . compression.  So the clamps are actually distorting the strips?

Right. So I've been able to address this by cranking down the center much harder than the sides but the sides still need a little bit of pressure to close the gaps and the crown presents itself.

I've thought about getting a thick piece of steel to put between the clamps and the piece; I currently use a thick piece of White Oak. 

Just a +1 at wdwerker and others comments on stock prep.  Clamping end grain cutting boards is like clamping a bunch of straws standing on end.  The material in this orientation is easily crushed.  Discard or remake any parts that don't fit together correctly without the clamps.  This will let you lower your clamping pressure and eliminate the distortions.

While it's definitely not necessary, consider using all the same type of clamp.  I see you have a selection of different clamps.  If you're on a budget, just fill out your clamp rack with those blue HF clamps, like the one you have there.  That way you can feel the pressure better and more evenly.  Those HF aren't the easiest to crank down, but a couple of those pipe clamps look like they crush a diamond if you wanted to.  If you are having difficulty knowing how much pressure you've applied with different styles of clamps, then maybe you need to get similar ones, and those HF ones will be very hard pressed to over tighten anything.   I use 4 of them, alternating top and bottom for my cutting boards, with calls/culls (which is it?) as needed. 

But with proper stock prep, you shouldn't need lots of pressure, as mentioned. 

1) I agree that too much clamping pressure will tend to cause bowing. 

2)  Your gluing surfaces (opposite idea of each piece) need to be exactly parallel to each other to get a flat gue-up.

3)  And I think this could be your problem ------ I assume that the bowing is upward in your second pic.  I notice that the bolts for the cauls are outside of the ends of the cauls.  By ends I mean the surface that bears on the cutting board.  When you tighten those bolts, you create "prying" action on the caul.  The cantilevered end of the caul at the bolt is pulled down by the nut and the center fo the caul will tend to raise up.  This will tend to bow the caul and allow the cutting board to to match.  I think you need to re-design how you clamp your cauls.

One more thing,  I don't see cauls under the cutting board in your pick.  I usually have top and bottom cauls - unless you are using the table as a caul.  I clamp the cauls to each other and the pressrue points of the caul clamps are within the boundaries of the cutting board.

4 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

While it's definitely not necessary, consider using all the same type of clamp.  I see you have a selection of different clamps.  If you're on a budget, just fill out your clamp rack with those blue HF clamps, like the one you have there.  That way you can feel the pressure better and more evenly.  Those HF aren't the easiest to crank down, but a couple of those pipe clamps look like they crush a diamond if you wanted to.  If you are having difficulty knowing how much pressure you've applied with different styles of clamps, then maybe you need to get similar ones, and those HF ones will be very hard pressed to over tighten anything.   I use 4 of them, alternating top and bottom for my cutting boards, with calls/culls (which is it?) as needed. 

But with proper stock prep, you shouldn't need lots of pressure, as mentioned. 

Caul's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was having a similar problem - turns out the resawn strips were not 100% square.  Very slight variance adds up and is compounded over the number of strips.  Looks like you have over 30 strips in your second glue up. .01" variance over 30 pcs is over a 1/4" that then has to be closed up with pressure and results in the distortion.  I started drum sanding the strips to insure all were flat and square.

On another note - what sort of jig do you use to route out the juice groove?  Looking for ideas and it looks like you method works well.

• 1 month later...

Be careful. You may be applying too much pressure and squeezing almost all of the glue out of the joints. My experience says you don't need anywhere near that much pressure if the edges being glued are straight to begin with. They need a few thousandths between them for the glue to hold properly. Too much pressure and the glue line is too thin to have any strength. Maybe you should be doing some experimenting to see if a little less pressure is plenty and you won't have the bowing problems that you are having. A good straight joint needs clamping to keep it from moving while the glue is setting. Too much pressure is not a good thing.

Charley