My first end grain cutting boards

woodbutcher

• 2 weeks later...

Nice router flatening jig.  I use something like that to flatten the tops of tree slabs and segments/stumps.  Your seems a lot more stable.  Still had a big mess even with a vaccum?  Since the sides are high some of the dust must get trapped in, maybe a second vaccum attached to the side would create a sort of wind tunnel effect and suck the rest out.

• Like 1

Those are great looking!  We've made about 40 or so in varying sizes and woods and I have to second the mention of a drum sander - it's an awesome way to level these boards.  I know your parents will love their new cutting board.  Now the trick will be to get them to actually use it.  I don't think any of the ones we've made have been used yet.

David

• Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 12:59 PM, Adam Campbell said:

Nice router flatening jig.  I use something like that to flatten the tops of tree slabs and segments/stumps.  Your seems a lot more stable.  Still had a big mess even with a vaccum?  Since the sides are high some of the dust must get trapped in, maybe a second vaccum attached to the side would create a sort of wind tunnel effect and suck the rest out.

I didnt use dust collection on the router. Should have but find it to almost be more of a PITA than sweeping up afterwards. 

The flattening jig worked great. Not the ideal method for this but a drum sander is not high on my priority list right now. Many other core tools i have yet to buy, so they are at the front of the line. 

I was pretty pleased with how well a card scraper worked as a first smoothing step after flattening.

On 11/20/2017 at 5:53 PM, difalkner said:

Those are great looking!  We've made about 40 or so in varying sizes and woods and I have to second the mention of a drum sander - it's an awesome way to level these boards.  I know your parents will love their new cutting board.  Now the trick will be to get them to actually use it.  I don't think any of the ones we've made have been used yet.

David

Thanks! They do make for a cool kitchen decoration! Mines been getting used and i sure enjoy it. Hopefully my parents will use theirs too.

• Like 1