End Tables

..Kev

7 hours ago, bushwacked said:

Oh these are coming together really nicely!! How many hours you think you have into this project so far?

Probably (guessing) close to 10 hours..  I hadn't really kept track.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

When you did the through mortises did you use a bushing or pattern bit?

Pattern bit.  That's why I was able to also use the template to keep the chisel flat and ensure a straight chop for the corners.

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Good stuff, that straight grain walnut is b-e-a-utiful.  I'm liking the form-factor too, I should review the relative dimensions and steal for a future project.

Drop me a pm JT if you want the sketchup files..

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

They look great! Thanks for taking the time to create and share the videos!! I do have one question why do you cut with a regular blade before switching to the dado stack on your tenons vs just cutting them with your dado stack?

Well...  Here's the story...

I was on a roll, cruising along when I dialed in the depth I needed with the regular blade before installing the stack.  So, since everything was set up I just cut the shoulders first and then dropped the stack in.

In other words, my brain was 2 steps ahead of reality ;)

• Like 2

Your heading into Nakamisha territory !  I love how those wide slabs really show how beautiful the entire unbroken grain pattern is.

I've sprayed waterbourne's for many years and I really like the life and depth the colors take on by using ARS as a first coat. Definitely trying that soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Your heading into Nakamisha territory !  I love how those wide slabs really show how beautiful the entire unbroken grain pattern is.

I've sprayed waterbourne's for many years and I really like the life and depth the colors take on by using ARS as a first coat. Definitely trying that soon.

Thanks Steve!  I definitely like that look on walnut.  Not quite the same effect on lighter woods.  It's an extra step in the finishing which takes time but, I think it's worth it.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I did that on some hickory and i still think it worked well despite it being a lighter wood.

Those slabs are beautiful. It's almost a shame that they are in the corner but i know how it goes, they go where the lady of the house wants them.

If it were up to me, they'd be in the middle of the room but, I don't think I'd get away with that for long! ;)