Dust collection help

prov163

I am replacing the Shop Fox 1hp collector with a 2hp HF equipped with a Wynn canister filter. As you can see my table saw and jointer are in close proximity. I roll my planer over in front of the jointer and use the flex hose that goes to my planer (hanging up in the pic). I have one run that is dedicated to the table saw. I control them with the blast gates you see in the picture. This has been a real pain for years but put off dealing with it until doing this upgrade. I could use some advice:

1.  Best placement for blast gates? These are just hanging and a pain to get to. Problem is the HF intake is closer to the base, though it is a dual port so that should be a plus. How would you locate the new blast gates? I need to make them easier to reach so mounting them on the wall behind the jointer would be nice. 

2. What kind of blast gates? These plastic ones seem flimsy and clog easily (may be more poor location than quality) so it’s hard to close them properly. Are the metal ones worth the price difference? 

3. Should I mount the dust collector to the wall or leave it on the cart?  It’s not going to be moved around. Are there benefits to changing the configuration?  For example being able to change the position of the intake by mounting the motor higher?

4. I would like to add a cyclone/chip separator at some point but thats a couple of months down the line. 

5. What would you do with the Shop Fox collector I’m replacing?

Let the games begin :D

14D16F05-379E-47D3-9115-E476E62EC4C5.jpeg

B3860FD2-6922-410E-B7C1-6DED212027D0.jpeg

BBD94F19-0240-4B77-B365-7FA08F663EC0.jpeg

An alternative idea would be to sell your Shop Fox on CL $50-$100 and add that to what you would spend on a HF DC and  buy just about any 1.5HP DC on CL. As you can see from the attached chart, due to its undersized impeller the HF performs below all the tested 1.5HP DCs and just above a typical 1HP DC (like yours).  Since both tools are stationary and have short runs you can switch to hard ducts (eliminate all flex hose) which will provide less resistance, resulting in better performance.  Also eliminate any hard 90s like the one attached to your current DC.

A separator is a great idea, keeping your filter cleaner longer, but it reduces your airflow significantly, so the more power you have upfront the better performance you will end up with. Changing the configuration is also a big help, eliminating the flex hose between the separator and blower.

As far as gates, I have a few plastic ones and they work, but leak and don't self clean.  I plan on making some better gates down the road.  Since you only need two it is probably worth it to buy good gates.  This company has decent prices on their gates. http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Aluminum-Self-Cleaning-Blast-Gates.php

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

DC CFM Chart.jpg

I have had the HF unit for close to 8yrs.  Over that time its been heavily modified.  I used to push it machine to machine and now I have permanently mounted to the wall, it saves a lot of floor space and running duct was easier than trying to maneuver the dc around my small shop.  I do have mine going through a Super Dust deputy cyclone and I exhaust the unit outside eliminating the filter. I also swapped out the impellor which greatly increases the CFM.   I highly recommend all of these mods.  I am pleased with my setup, but...

If I were too replace the unit I would go with a true 2+ hp unit.  But this requires 240v and a lot more money, and while I have spent some money on the unit I did it over a span of 8yrs.  Not counting the duct work, I have about 450 in the unit which will not put you anywhere near a new 2+ hp unit, and I have never seen anything on craigslist I would want to spend my money on.

Here is a link to the impellor mod and pictures.

• Like 1

If you leave it mounted in one place, do your best to use smooth pipe and not flex.  Too much resisitance with the flex.  4" 26 ga heating duct works with plastic fittings

As for the blast gates, I have those cheap plastic ones and they do not clog but if they get deformed a little they may not stay open (or closed) depending on how you orient them, but they have worked well for me.  Spring loaded clamp - not a big deal for me.

You can place the blast gates anywhere you want in a the line.   Dual port - one one each port.  Then one near each machine.  I ran my main along the wall and place my gates close to the main where each machine branches off at each machine (not near the floor ) so they are easy to reach.

Carl, thanks for posting that chart, I've never seen that.  I was planning on moving from my Delta 50-760 to a HF/Dust Deputy setup.  Looks like it would be a downgrade...

So, piggybacking on Carl's post, my Delta has been a really great collector.  Not sure where you are, but on my local Craigslist I see the Deltas all the time.  I can only speculate that with the prevalence of YouTube and similar videos about modding the HF collectors, people are dumping the Deltas.  Most are priced around $100.  I've got the same jointer, a 735 planer, SS cabinet saw, and the Delta keeps up just fine.  I had build a Thien separator, but the performance dropped too much for the value added.  I may try a Dust Deputy at some point, mainly because I can't seem to leave anything alone.

Basically, where I'm going with this, is you could "upgrade" to the 50-760 and get better performance now, and save the money you were going to spend now towards a real stationary system.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I haven't tested them but the Lee Valle self cleaning gates are highly recommended. if you buy over 4 the price is reasonable too considering it's a metal part. I have 6 at home yet to install and my impression of them is leaps and bounds over the plastic ones i have installed.

I've got both 4" & 6" gates from Lee Valley & they work very well. No complaints at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Was running my Harbor Freight Dust Collector this morning when it unexpectedly shut down for no apparent reason. No loud noise or breakage, just shut down expectedly. At first I assumed the breaker had tripped, but the outlet is fine, it is getting power, just doesn't do anything when I flip the switch now. The impeller moves freely and doesn't appear obstructed. Also the unit didn't feel hot and hadn't run for very long this morning. Any thoughts on what, if anything, I can reasonably do to it? Only had it about 4 months. Maybe just take it back to Harbor freight and try to get a new one?

Look on the motor for a reset button. Some motors have a circuit breaker integrated into the housing. It usually protects against thermal overload, so your statement that the motor is cool seems to indicate it is NOT the problem, but check for it anyway.

Otherwise, I would be inclined to disassemble the switch and motor terminal box to look for loose connections.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Was running my Harbor Freight Dust Collector this morning when it unexpectedly shut down for no apparent reason. No loud noise or breakage, just shut down expectedly. At first I assumed the breaker had tripped, but the outlet is fine, it is getting power, just doesn't do anything when I flip the switch now. The impeller moves freely and doesn't appear obstructed. Also the unit didn't feel hot and hadn't run for very long this morning. Any thoughts on what, if anything, I can reasonably do to it? Only had it about 4 months. Maybe just take it back to Harbor freight and try to get a new one?

I think your out of warranty at 90 days I'd ask but that's a lot to lug in to horrible freight just to get turned down.

I found this as well that might be helpful http://www.leeson.com/TechnicalInformation/pdf/AC_Trouble_Shooting.pdf

Check the simplest thing first, like wiring switch ect but it could be a failed capacitor which i don't think is terribly difficult to change.

As always be careful when working with capacitors and electrical stuff. Sure you know just a friendly reminder.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I poked around it a bit. Can't locate a reset, and the connections at the switch seem fine, as does the capacitor. Next step will be a more comprehensive disassembly, which is not promising, in large part because I don't really know much about electronics and motors anyways! I'll let you know if I turn anything up, otherwise I'll have to switch back to my old blower... honestly didn't see the improvement I hoped for with this HF blower anyways, mostly it just seemed louder... still frustrating to have it just conk out on me after a couple months.