Electric tailgate

TerryMcK

I've not done it yet but imagine you are in a line of traffic waiting at traffic lights and inadvertently press the tailgate open button, it opens. You then have to turn off the ignition, get out the car, walk around the back and press the tailgate button on the tailgate to close it. In the meantime the lights have changed and you have a line of irate people tooting their horns while you get back in the car only for the lights to go back to red.

What were VW/Audi thinking about? It is crazy. I think until I get chance to get it re-programmed I'll tape a coin or something over the button with gaffer tape to hopefully stop such a mishap.

40 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

My 97 diesel 4runner has no computer, no EFI, only digital thing in it is the clock with the green numbers.

The rear window opens and closes electrically just like any other window, from a switch in the console. Wonderful thing.

So you stripped the ECU?

24 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I don't know that there were any vehicles produced without computerized engine controls since sometime in the 80's

If memory serves...he is in Argentina. The diesel variants of the 1-Kd, KD-1 (or whatever that motor was, I was in high school driving a Chevy diesel at the time) was lusted after. It was high torque and indestructible...but not available in the US. I thought they were electrically choked, but that was not necessary, so maybe not. 

Edit: I think KD was the update...97 may have been KZ. 

19 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

If memory serves...he is in Argentina. The diesel variants of the 1-Kd, KD-1 (or whatever that motor was, I was in high school driving a Chevy diesel at the time) was lusted after. It was high torque and indestructible...but not available in the US. I thought they were electrically choked, but that was not necessary, so maybe not. 

Edit: I think KD was the update...97 may have been KZ. 

My unit is imported, 100% Japanese. Of course there's electronics in it, but far less than in other vehicles of the same generation. It's closer to a Land Rover Defender than it's to a Cherokee if you know what I mean.

Something being electronic are nice. I never understood the draw of electric doors or gates on minivans or suvs. In my mind there should always be a "oh shoot i need to slam this thing now" override.

I like electronic iginition and engine control. I know some hate but the amount of control you can have and the stuff you can do with it is awesome .

An ultrasonic range finder would be trivial for them to have engineered into the back door.   It would be programmed to know the minimum safe distance at each angle of the door.  I know I could have one built by tonight from just what I have sitting on my bench....  Not the whole door, but just the system to tell the door to stop closing!