Sign in to follow this  
curlyoak

mission style night table

Nice job on the table.  When I was a kid in Florida, I use to  free dive on the reefs there and every now and then I'd get 6 or 7 conch's live with the animal in them.  Damn they made good chowder, and the shells made great horns.

• Like 1

Nice bedside table !

Somewhere I've got one of those shells. We did free dives (one breath/just mask & flippers) in the Turks & Cacios, caught one apiece and the crew made conch ceviche for us. Caught it, ate it , kept the shell. Those things have a huge claw and eyes on stalks !

• Like 1

I like the combination of walnut and oak also. However I have received some push back by a lot of people. Clients do not want it. But it works for me!

Walnut is pricey/classy, red oak is cheap/pedestrian ( i.e. Good for floors) white oak especially qtr. sawn is mid price/class but not a distinction that a lot of clients have the knowledge to recognize.

Offer maple or cherry paired with walnut and see if your responses are better.

I like walnut and white oak. Red oak to me doesn't look well with it. Subtle difference but when you can see it, it's very obvious. It's like teaching someone to recognize bad kerning.

Walnut is used sparingly in Florida. I think it is the tropical nature of things. I use it. All local designers use it with consideration. Rarely in a small room.White oak with outdoor exposure in Florida is a problem. I had a door I liked with 2 lower claro walnut  raised panel, with an oak frame. Mold got under the finish. I refinished and the mold returned. one more time then a replacement.P1050451.thumb.JPG.70f4cda24a2a5f02e1b6ae5ddfe7ec62.JPG

P1050438.thumb.JPG.c79a8a258011d2cf632f025793b21818.JPGOrchids and heliconias 

I designed the glass. A local artisan executed the design. African mahogany. I forgot the actual name. I know someone here will know. No more mold problem.IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.c9c4e8d67c70465c73daa11bc666fb28.JPG

The old door after a refinish...I built the new door around the old glass. It cost me 500 to have the glass made. Today it is 1800.

• Like 1

Friction drawer is all wood. No glides. But paraffin will make them glide. Add paraffin once every 5 to 10 years. My friction drawers have bearing on the sides with a non bearing center guide. I like oak drawer sides and guides...

IMG_3322.thumb.JPG.cf272b3852df8a590b208b75e507ae9d.JPGIMG_3323.thumb.JPG.5c39a3cc6cf94730cd8df94c6aef6521.JPG

The center piece is a guide. The friction point is the 2 sides only. There is paraffin in the wood chanel and the bottom of the drawer sides.