Medieval side table

Art

Thanks for the replies guys.  The carving on the first side took about 3 hours while I figured it out.  There were a couple of setbacks.  The second side only took about and hour and a half.  The problem now is that those carvings are very difficult to see, so nobody really knows they're there, except me...

I hadn't heard of those two types of wood that were mentioned.  It's not a big deal in any case, I was just  a little curious. 

I had thought about trying to enhance the carving a bit, but the main reason I did it was for the learning experience anyway, so the fact it isn't particularly visible isn't a big issue.  In the future, I'll likely do some kind of chest in a similar fashion, and rather than having raised panel sides, I'll likely do a similar linenfold pattern, so the learning experience was valuable.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, sjeff70 said:

I can barely find reproduction plans for Federal period furniture, let alone Medieval Renaissance.  Pretty cool.  Makes me want to watch an episode of Vikings. 

I got the book at Lee Valley.  The plans aren't great, as they are mostly descriptive, but certainly give you enough to work on, assuming you've done this for a little while.  Some of the bigger projects look really awesome, but wouldn't really fit in with the decor in my house.  I really like the idea of recreating historical pieces.  Now if I could only find an outlet for them...

20 hours ago, Art said:

I got the book at Lee Valley.  The plans aren't great, as they are mostly descriptive, but certainly give you enough to work on, assuming you've done this for a little while.  Some of the bigger projects look really awesome, but wouldn't really fit in with the decor in my house.  I really like the idea of recreating historical pieces.  Now if I could only find an outlet for them...

Same here  :)