Wanna see some purple heart?

drzaius

Ever since I got hooked on the Tips From a Shipwright YouTube channel, I've done some poking around on other boat building channels & have been watching this one as well. In that episode he's cutting a scarf joint to join 2 massive timbers to form the keel. This wood is purple heart. I don't really like the stuff myself, but I guess it must make a good keel.

Not only is that a couple of massive timbers, but also a massive workout with the hand tools.  Each of use seems to find our little corner of woodworking happiness but he is welcome to that spot he has, I won't be crowding in.  I think I lost 10 pounds just watching his video.

16 hours ago, drzaius said:

Ever since I got hooked on the Tips From a Shipwright YouTube channel, I've done some poking around on other boat building channels & have been watching this one as well. In that episode he's cutting a scarf joint to join 2 massive timbers to form the keel. This wood is purple heart. I don't really like the stuff myself, but I guess it must make a good keel.

More dense than teak.  Harder than teak.  Near enough to teak in shrinkage that it will make little difference.  Extremely rot resistant.  Considering he’s replaceing a similar teak peice... yeah, Purpleheart makes a great keel.  I wouldn’t make a stem out of it, because it doesn’t bend well, but for a keel or deadwood, purpleheart is probably ideal. 

That's is the biggest single piece of Purple Heart I've ever seen.:o

I'm not entirely convinced from watching several of his episodes that his boat is worth all the effort. I saw too much wood that looks like it's breaking down. Dry rot has started 

The lignum and cellulose is kinda important. Once that goes away it's not far from being dust. Maybe hopefully it looks better in person.

Aj