Working Sapele ... Thoughts?

bushwacked

I have always enjoyed the look of it but have never had a board to work on .... How is it to work?

It isnt too badly priced where I am and was thinking my next project I may try it out. Definitely cheaper than the walnut I used for my end tables haha

Sapele 4/4 Selects or Better Rough  $          4.45
Sapele 6/4 Quartersawn  $          5.35
Sapele 6/4 Selects  $          5.15
Sapele 8/4 Selects or Better Rough  $          4.70

If not Sapele, what else is like it in color you would recommend? 

Agreed, im actually going to switch to sapele for personal furniture projects after i run out of my walnut stash. I refuse to pay $8+ a bdft. Thankfully, i still have 150-200 bdft of 4/4 left, and i only have to stomach buying 8/4 for table legs etc. 

Im actually in the process of buying 225bdft of 8/4 sapele for $3.80. That is about the same price i pay for cherry! No offense to cherry, but sapele has much richer color and grain, in my opinion. QS sapele with an oil finish is really striking, almost too much at times. I agree with Kev that it has similar weight and hardness as walnut. I think walnut works better, because sapale can get fuzzy on you from planing etc. 

• Like 1

If you're using hand tools, Sapele is tougher. It's a lot harder than most domestics, and while I don't know if it technically has interlocking grain, it behaves a little more like it does than domestics do...so if you're using hand tools, especially lots of hand planing it will be a little more difficult.  I like using it though, and it's been very stable in q-sawn form, hoping to continue using it for a long time...

• Like 1

I'm with curlyoak I like sapele and think it is fairly easy to work, like mahogany. I used it as an accent wood on my Roubo bench and several small projects from the left overs. 

I agree on the door! Did you do the stained glass work curlyoak? I have taken some classes over the last year or so and would really like to do a door.

• Like 1

I wish I could get sapele that cheap, it's around $8bf near me but I still use it quite a bit and actually about to finish up a little side table made from it. I find it an enjoyable wood to work with, I'm mostly a power tool user and it machines well. It's easy to finish and looks great with an oil finish but I've also used some general finishes dye and enduro poly to give a darker aged mahogany look and even with dye the striping still reflects light and has that color changing effect depending on the angle you look at it. It makes the shop smell nice too

• Like 1

Interesting, I’ve noticed African mahogany sucks in comparison to sapele. It doesn’t have the color, and I don’t think it’s as stable. I’m upset with myself for using African mahogany instead of sapele for my one Morris chair. It doesn’t darken with age either, from what I’ve noticed. 

I use a lot of sapele and it is a wonderful wood. Just beware that it can have changes of grain direction in a board (called interlocking) so when you think it is ok to plane you hit a riser that comes from the other direction and get localised tear out. It isn't all like that but if you do encounter it you can use a high angle plane or a scraper plane and you will get fantastic results. 

• Like 1

In the old days pattern makers exclusively used Honduras mahogany. It was used among other places in Detroit in the auto industry for making castings. The wood was chosen for its great working ability. sapele is not Hondorus mahogany. But it leans that way...

• Like 1

Pattern grade Mahogany was the straightest , cleanest most boring boards possible. It was available in large thick wide pieces that behaved well and didn't move much. Patternmakers were some of the most accurate & technical woodworkers. They were pretty much woodworking machinists.

In my very early woodworking I did use Honduras and remember the wide boards. We also used Philippine mahogany. It was beautiful but some would look down their noses at the Philippine. 18" wide boards were common. Point is the working characteristic were good on either. Just like sapele. None of it is as good as the old days but on a relative basis to other woods it is easy to machine and the ribbon grained was and is beautiful.