SawStop Router Table

Hammer5573

I was thrilled when I heard that SawStop had developed a router table attachment for its table saws. I imagined a totally "out-of-the-box" design incorporating precision adjustments and outstanding safety. Boy was I disappointed....! I recently checked it out at my local Woodcraft store and admit that the router lift was first class (not a SawStop design by the way) but the rest of the table lacked any innovations in the fence, fence adjustments, safety and dust collection system. I hope that the SawStop designers consider going back to the drawing table and develop an integrated system that would be representative of the company's reputation.

The photos I have seen of the router setup on the professional models look like a bad set up (picture below) Or is it just me that occasionally has to open the door on the left of the saw cabinet to retrieve my arbor nut or washer.  How do you do that with out having to disassemble part of the router set up?  Doesn't look like there is any room between the router dust box a the saw's side door to allow the door to swing open.

sawstoproutertable400.jpg.94badec1e84ff2f253eac84fb512e9be.jpg

That's a pretty terrible way to set it up. I have mine on the right side, which for me is better anyway. I'm likely to be going back & forth between the router table & table saw & having it on the left would make that more awkward.

I feel like they got me sold on one. I tried to buy it when I got my saw a few weeks ago but they were out of stock and not expecting any until June. For me it's all about it being designed for my saw, so I know it fits perfectly - and it clears out a bit chunk of space in the shop from my stand alone router table. So I feel like I will get one eventually. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That has to mount on either side. I'm not a SS fan but they can't be that stupid.

It can be mounted on the right side - IF the rails are the right ones (there's a notch/cutout, and apparently the bolt hole pattern is different).  It might depend on how old your saw is.

I agree with putting it on the right side.  I have a shop-made extension table with a built in router lift - works well for me.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sawstop-inline-router-table-attachment.aspx

I agree that it doesn't look like it has any improvements over what's currently available.  I thought they would have utilized the ts fence somehow by adding an attachment to it.  The Incra / Jessem lifts with the slotted inserts also seem to offer better dc. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 6:48 PM, jussi said:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sawstop-inline-router-table-attachment.aspx

I agree that it doesn't look like it has any improvements over what's currently available.  I thought they would have utilized the ts fence somehow by adding an attachment to it.  The Incra / Jessem lifts with the slotted inserts also seem to offer better dc. 

This is the Router table which you are talking about Right?:rolleyes: 

I will say this table is not so good option as many customers have reported about this. There are other tables which you can use for sure like - Craftsman 37599 or Kreg PRS 2100 is more viable as it has a top-grade aluminum fence and steel base handles. In the past I just ordered an Incra table from  https://sortedforyou.com/best-router-table , The Incra Table hasn't much good options and have been reported by many of the customers. As my friend is using this Kreg PRS 2100, I planned to order and enjoy hi-speed internet. 

download.jpg

On 5/7/2018 at 6:07 PM, Chet said:

The photos I have seen of the router setup on the professional models look like a bad set up (picture below) Or is it just me that occasionally has to open the door on the left of the saw cabinet to retrieve my arbor nut or washer.  How do you do that with out having to disassemble part of the router set up?  Doesn't look like there is any room between the router dust box a the saw's side door to allow the door to swing open.

sawstoproutertable400.jpg.94badec1e84ff2f253eac84fb512e9be.jpg

@Chet

FWIW your picture is of the Industrial series which has the access door on the left. The Professional series has the door on the right. I *think* that you can put the router table insert on either side. It also depends somewhat on the other options that you have on  your machine. For example if you have the floating dust collection, the attaches to the right of the machine, no matter what series the machine is, so if you also want the router table it would have to go on the left.

I had one as the left wing because the right was the long table, and the router wing was cast iron.  It wasn't in the way with the router lowered, and the fence off.  I ended up taking it off because it was little used, dust collection poor, and just took more room because it was noticeably wider than the stock wing.

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

I've never understood why you would want the RT on the left side of the blade, unless you had the right end of the saw against a wall or other obstruction. It would always be in the way. Someone enlighten me.

Hi, Mick - I put my router table extension on the left of the blade and it is one of the one of the best things I ever did. I sized it so my Accumiter gauge could be used without removing the router table fence so I could trim short pieces without tearing things down.

The reason I like it is that it provides support when cutting sheet goods and crosscutting long pieces. Since my saw also gets used as an assembly table, it adds space to allow the assembly activities to go smoothly.

Another "on the left" user here.  I have done this for many years.  This gives me a common feed direction and clearance requirement.  I placed the miter slot on the router table the same distance as the left miter slot on the tablesaw is from the blade.  This allows easy movement of jigs and fixtures from one station to the other.  As for motor access issues on the tablesaw; I kept track of how often I had to access the hatch on my last saw over many years of use . . . none.  This let me confidently place the router table on the left on my Saw Stop 3HP PCS even though the hatch access is now limited.  Number of times I have had to access the hatch on the current saw . . . none.  If I ever need to, it is three bolts ;-)

About 15 years ago:

1341691636_FenceExtn1.thumb.jpg.eaf7e29f9115bdf17486d359b7416a28.jpg

My hybrid phase. You can see the right hand table pedestal peeking out from behind the sled that taught me how seldom one has to access the motor hatch:

RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg.feaa0428874e018897488bc332d76254.jpg

Current:

5702c0f609149_TS-Outfeed(37).jpg.7bbe2ce920d28ec44948c54fb01655f5.jpg

We all have different approaches and different environments.  Gather from the experiences of others and do what works best for you. :)