Touchscreen laptop/2-in-1's

Jfitz

I don't but my friend who owns his own IT business that has used every brand of laptop imaginable swears up and down by dell.

I personally don't see a lot of utility in it but i use an external mouse with every computer i own. I also detest touchscreen so best to ignore my opinion as it's filled with bias.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

best to ignore my opinion as it's filled with bias.

Isn't that what opinions are???  (so - no worries!)

I was trying to stay away from asking about specific manufacturers or models - but in general, I agree since I've rarely had issues with any Dell systems I've purchased.

I am more wondering about the utility to make use of it when "on the road" (i.e. not really in a place ammenable to keyboard and mouse usage).  It (touchscreen) sounds good...just not sure how realistic it is.

I have a Dell touchscreen laptop at the moment for work. I really like having it when in meetings. Otherwise I have it in a dock with a proper keyboard/mouse. I hate touchpads though, and using the screen is a lot faster for me.

Previously I had a Surface Pro, and that was also very nice.

• Like 1

If cost isn't really a concern more features is always better than fewer. For a personal laptop i'd use the touch screen for google maps, it's also nice or annoying because it allows the person sitting next to you to control the computer as well. The is it worth it question is tough to answer.

4 minutes ago, AJ_Engineer said:

I have a Dell touchscreen laptop at the moment for work. I really like having it when in meetings. Otherwise I have it in a dock with a proper keyboard/mouse. I hate touchpads though, and using the screen is a lot faster for me.

Previously I had a Surface Pro, and that was also very nice.

If they didn't try and make them "Better" by incorporating the buttons into the touch area i'd like them a lot more. I'm a rest my thumb on the left click button type of person which doesn't work with touchpads from companies like apple for example.

• Like 1

I previously had a cheap 15" HP laptop that had a touchscreen on it, but I never used it. The hinge wasn't sturdy enough to keep the screen from wobbling with each touch, and I found that far more annoying than the touchscreen was useful. I now have a Dell XPS 13 without touchscreen. With the smaller screen and better hinges, I don't think this one would have the wobbling problem, but I still don't have any desire for a touchscreen. Laptop screens get smudgy enough, even without poking at them all the time.

That being said, I do also have an iPad and it may be that I naturally use that any time I am going to be doing more touchscreen-friendly tasks. I mostly use my laptop for work and woodworking modeling (when traveling or around the house, rather than at my desktop pc), and iPad for youtube and reading. I don't play games on any platform.

• Like 1

Last year I bought 3 laptops. The Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1, the Lenovo Yoga 710 2-in-1, and the asus vivobook s510 (not a 2 in 1)

I returned the first two and unfortunately missed the return date on this last one. If 2-in-1 is the only thing you really care about- the first two were great for that. No problems. Not a feature I needed, but it was interesting. My issues were all based on the tap to click feature of the trackpads - because apparently nobody but Apple knows how to do that anymore.

• Like 1

I am personally not a fan of using touch screens, not even on my phone. My ability to type has suffered immensly since my trusty Nokia n900 bit the dust.

On a Windows machine, even the latest-greatest smart phone wannabe user interface is still mour mouse-centric than finger centric.  

^^^^^^^^

Evidence that fat thumbs and phone touch screens are a terrible combo.

• Like 1

Not really answering the touch screen question but I’ve been using a MacBook Pro for personal use and a MacBook Air for work.  My MacBook pro is coming up on 5 years and it still works well. The longevity has been important for me. You pay a bit extra but I’ve never had problems with it. 

• Like 1

I'm a long time Macbook user and I'm fully comfortable with them built-in trackpads. I understand that when working with design or engineering software a mouse is better suited, but having to attach one just to browse the web or check mails defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

I'm not a fan of laptops with touchscreens. They are not ergonomic for continuous use and  can put unnecessary stress on your hands and wrists.

• Like 1

I have a Thinkpad yoga. I'm pretty much a Thinkpad diehard though.

The most useful case for the touchscreen is when the laptop is in tent mode. This is typically in the kitchen or in the shop. So it's nice for watching videos and or scrolling through recipies. The actual big benefit is the pen and being able to annotate PDFs.

Edited by RileyD
Speeling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lewisc said:

Not really answering the touch screen question but I’ve been using a MacBook Pro for personal use and a MacBook Air for work.  My MacBook pro is coming up on 5 years and it still works well. The longevity has been important for me. You pay a bit extra but I’ve never had problems with it. 

Yeah. I bought a macbook pro in 2008, after going through a pc laptop every year. It still works. I only bought another laptop because the trackpad on the macbook sticks. It was worth every penny of the $3100 I paid. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  definitely a first world problem, I know :)  Cost isn't the biggest issue, but it looks like getting a touchscreen might limit other features.  I'll either try to nail her down on a preferences, or just pull the 'dad card' and told her I researched it and I picked the best one. :)