Domino DF 500 Connectors

..Kev

Hmm...  Crickets....

Is this price point keeping people from giving it a go?

Do people just don't see this fitting into their work flow?

No wrong answers here, all shops and people are different.

I have a build coming up where I could see the benefit but, I can also think of a few different ways to get the job done.

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I"m looking at them for my desk build. The price point is high, but this desk is the reason I started woodworking so no expense shall be spared.

The price point is a very fair argument..  At nearly 400 bucks and full of parts that have to be replenished, I can really understand this argument!  

I'm finishing a desk that could have used them but I decided I would rather just finish the project sooner. (I threw pocket holes into the connecting rails instead). A more permanent project, or something I planned to move more often would be a better fit, just not sure what project that will be.

The parts themselves don't seem so badly priced if you just buy a couple for one project at a time...like other kits, the cost adds up when they put in large quantities of stuff you won't use for a few years (or some you'll never use).  The cost of the drill jig and little stuff like that adds up as well.  If I were you I'd buy just a couple for one project and see how it goes before dropping 400 dollars.

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

The parts themselves don't seem so badly priced if you just buy a couple for one project at a time...like other kits, the cost adds up when they put in large quantities of stuff you won't use for a few years (or some you'll never use).  The cost of the drill jig and little stuff like that adds up as well.  If I were you I'd buy just a couple for one project and see how it goes before dropping 400 dollars.

Good logic!  

Without diving into my personal situation, I'm more curious about what's keeping others away?  So far, it's looking more like the "need" vs the money which is a little interesting for a Festool item.  I honestly thought the money would be the biggest driver!  

Looking forward to seeing more weigh in..

The trestle desk i made would be a bit easier with them. If i was doing something large like that that i wanted to be able to take apart if i needed to move it I'd buy these and not really think about it.

The shipping aspect would be awesome. I could make stuff for people that have quested things that i just can't justify shipping. Though the cost of the connectors and the fact that my friends don't pay me enough for the stuff i do as it is, it probably won't happen.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:21 PM, ..Kev said:

The price point is a very fair argument..  At nearly 400 bucks and full of parts that have to be replenished, I can really understand this argument!  

Once I get into it more, wouldn't surprise me if I can pick up just the pieces I need for a fraction of the cost. I'd probably be smarter to do that!

I bought the kit and played around with them but haven’t gotten around to using them in a project yet. I plan on using them for when I finally build a closet organizer for a large walk in because after carrying up the cases in 3parts for a regular double door closet it’s not something I want to do again. I think they’re perfect for something like that but not really sure how I’d put it in furniture. 

• Like 1

I haven’t looked into the 500 connectors, but I’ve used the 700 connectors for the last six months or so. About 80% of the way there on a king size bed that the connectors are awesome on. It’s not just the bolt that holds the joint together, you use them in conjunction with other dominos. In the case of my bed, each connecting rail side has two connectors and three 14mm dominos. My dry assembly shows the resulting joint is very strong. That is my only use of the 90 degree connectors to date. I’ve used the 180 or flat connectors a bunch on countertop and bar miters. Very nice to put the kitchen together in the shop and sand things mated together prior to finishing. Makes things perfect when you put them back together on site, and they are fast and simple. I’ve used my fair share of the big box knockdown hardware and the installation is considerably longer and more finicky. I didn’t buy the full kit, I just bought the individual packs from bob Marino. Still, I’m probably $180 into flat and 90 degree connectors. But I have enough leftover 90s to do a couple more beds, tables, or whatever else that needs to go together and come apart.  

• Like 2