Fay and Egan jointer

JayhawkCRNA

8 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I would never have voted to encourage you to get that thing, but I'm impressed that you did and looking forward to you getting it running.

Right.  I'd say he had what appeared to be subdued enthusiasm.  Now he's a motivator! 

2 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

Man that thing is awesome!  What did you end up transporting it on and was the forklift able to finish the job?  You must have bay doors since you can't get through a doorway with it.

The seller loaded it on my trailer with a skid loader and my cousin brought a forklift to remove it from the trailer at my shop. I have a 12’ garage door on the shop

2 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

I would never have voted to encourage you to get that thing, but I'm impressed that you did and looking forward to you getting it running.

I just took the jump. It ran well when I picked it up. I can't wait to get the electrical run so I can start making chips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

"Fluorescent bulb  truck" ? I assume you meant trick, but how straight is a bulb ? I'm guessing a feeler gauge is used ?

Darn autocorrect yeah I used 2 6ft light bulbs on each side to level the beds. I used my 5 ft  straight edge on the bulbs and they were straight near as I could tell. Used feeler gauges and dial meter to level off the cutter head

5 hours ago, Tom King said:

For a mere $5,200  more, you could have had a new Powermatic that would do the exact same thing, but that would not have included a mobile base, and probably not have as good of a motor.

For a mere $18,000 more you could have a new Northfield that will do the exact same thing, but would be DMD with a better motor.

That looks like an awesome machine. I'd be too excited to wait on electrical and would rig something together to make it run.

18 hours ago, Tom King said:

For a mere $5,200  more, you could have had a new Powermatic that would do the exact same thing, but that would not have included a mobile base, and probably not have as good of a motor.

Are the old baldor industrial motors that much better than the new ones?

Very nice purchase.  This thing will last another 100 years or more.  If you can find machines like this in good working order and well maintained, there's rarely anything better for price/performance.  Only downside to machines like this are logistics of moving them.

If you are looking for new knives, I recently got some T1-HSS rom oellasawandtool.  I just found ones with similar dimensions for my 16" L-Power jointer, and set them with a multi-gauge from OneWay.ca

2 hours ago, andrew-in-austin said:

Very nice purchase.  This thing will last another 100 years or more.  If you can find machines like this in good working order and well maintained, there's rarely anything better for price/performance.  Only downside to machines like this are logistics of moving them.

If you are looking for new knives, I recently got some T1-HSS rom oellasawandtool.  I just found ones with similar dimensions for my 16" L-Power jointer, and set them with a multi-gauge from OneWay.ca

Thanks for the tip on the blades and multi gauge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if my problems are Setup or technique. I think my problem is that my knives are dull but not sure. I used the OneWay dial jig to set my knives to be maybe 2 thousandths above the outfeed table. When I go to face joint a board, done both walnut and poplar. I get a lot of bouncing and some “wavy” cuts. Edge jointing I have no problems.
I am looking to source some new knives that I can have around while I try and figure out sharpening my current knives. The knives are 12”x 1 1/4”x3/16”. I can’t seem to find any online in all of those dimensions. 

Also setting the knives was a pain because only one of the knives seemed to have the proper screws in the bottom( that help set the height after I loosen the “gib screws” if I am saying that correctly. I have attached a couple pictures to show what good and offending screws. Can I get replacements? I didn’t want to take the blades all the way out until I asked you all some of these questions. 

Thank you in advance.

AE597141-89C1-4BA7-818F-DEF0B76B20F4.jpeg

EDC44012-CA8E-40DB-A08E-D396F4B1339C.jpeg

6F572065-C121-48EB-B086-4260EF66F02F.jpeg

I'd take them out, send them off for sharpening, and check everything out while the knives are out.  They look dull to me, but no big notches gone anywhere, so at 1-1/4" wide, there should be plenty of metal there for sharpening.  Post more pictures while the cutterhead is apart.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I'd take them out, send them off for sharpening, and check everything out while the knives are out.  They look dull to me, but no big notches gone anywhere, so at 1-1/4" wide, there should be plenty of metal there for sharpening.  Post more pictures while the cutterhead is apart.

Do you know of any reputable mail in sharpening services? I don’t know of any in my area.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Obviously your garage never saw a vehicle, lawn maintenance items or wife’s hobby stuff before it became a Woodworking shop. Looks good dude and good luck on those knives. 

The previous owner was a builder and used this detached garage as his storage for all his business stuff.