Fay and Egan jointer

JayhawkCRNA

I came across a 1924 Fay and Egan 506 Lightning 12" Jointer for sale. It is single phase and seller says it works well. Anybody have any input on the machine? Is it worth buying? What should I look out for? I like the idea of a vintage machine and love the 12" size. I have a 30x30 shop that could accommodate the machine.

It is an 1.5 hour drive for me so I wanted to get some info before I committed to making the drive to look. Also any ideas how to load/move such a beast of a machine?

jointer.jpg

jointer2.jpg

jointer3.jpg

jointer4.jpg

24 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

Can't believe it's single phase, I'd avoid it only because of the nightmare of what it will take to move it.

That is the biggest thing I am worried about. Seller says it is about 1500#. The seller says he used a skid loader and tilt trailer to move it a few years ago and offered to use the skid loader to put it onto a trailer I would have. I have access to tractors but not sure if they could lift it off the trailer. He is asking $750

The cutterhead has been replaced to a modern, safe design.   I'd pay 750 for it.  It probably has babbet bearings, if they haven't been replaced.  A hobbyist would never wear out a set, but you would need to find someone close to you who could, if they need to be repoured.  

That's a real mobile base too!

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

The cutterhead has been replaced to a modern, safe design.   I'd pay 750 for it.  It probably has babbet bearings, if they haven't been replaced.  A hobbyist would never wear out a set, but you would need to find someone close to you who could, if they need to be repoured.  

That's a real mobile base too!

Thanks for the info. I am having seller send me some more info and pictures. He said there is some pitting around the edge of the beds. He bought it a couple years ago from a cabinetmaker closing up shop. THat cabinet maker had replaced the motor at some point. He bought a large drum sander so he says he doesn’t use this anymore. Also said he would hone the knifes after use. Any idea about if the blades are bad what the options would be?

It shouldn't be any trouble finding replacement blades.  That cutterhead looks pretty standard.   The old ones, like what was probably on that one to start with, were square, and the knives bolted onto the outside of the square.   There are more than a few stories of knives going through roofs with those old cutterheads.

2 minutes ago, Tom King said:

It shouldn't be any trouble finding replacement blades.  That cutterhead looks pretty standard.   The old ones, like what was probably on that one to start with, were square, and the knives bolted onto the outside of the square.   There are more than a few stories of knives going through roofs with those old cutterheads.

Thanks for the info and appreciate it. I am leaning toward offering a little lower just for my drive and hassle of getting a forklift from a friend to unload it at my place

3 hours ago, Larry Moore said:

Aside from loading unloading, watch out for what Tom said about the cutter having babbit bearings, unless you know or have someone who does know how to fit new ones you could be buying a big boat anchor. 

How can you tell if it has these types of bearings?

That motor is worth more than half the asking price.   That's the best 3 or 5hp (can't read the hp on the plate) motor made.    A hobbyist will never wear out a set of babbitt bearings, if they are good to start with.

Find the old woodworking machine forums, and ask about it there.   It's something like owwm.org

32 minutes ago, Larry Moore said:

The first picture in your original post shows what looks like an oil cup on the bearing end cap. That would lead me to think Babbitt bearings because they need a lot of oil.

Thanks for the reply I posted over at Owwm.org and the 1 rely so far says it is a ball bearing machine. I have decided to purchase it and will be picking it up tomorrow. I feel like I may be starting down a rabbet hole of old machinery.

• Like 1

That wouldn’t be my first choice for a jointer, but at that price, it’s hard to argue. Especially it being single phase with a newer motor. 12” covers most of my needs, and a 7’ bed can handle 8-10’ lengths effectively. I like the look of that fence design  it seems very stout. I will say the fences on the old machines are better than modern counterparts. This fence looks like I could beat it with a dead blow and it wouldn’t go out of square. Same for the tannewitz and north field table saw fences. 

Make sure you you attach the forklift harnesses to the chassis of the machine and not the beds.