Hinges for blanket chest?

A lot would depend on the screws used and how you plan to mount the hinges. Hinge screws into the edge of plywood is not a good idea. Are you building a solid wood frame ? Screws into the lid from below will have to be short. Without pictures it's hard to invision the position the hinge would be in. But yes that size hinge will do the job if installed correctly.

Here's the design. I intend to mortise them into the top and carcass. One wing of the hinge will be screwed into the face of the plywood top, the other wing will be screwed into a 2.5" pine rail. I don't know if there's a better way to do it, but I know I'm at least not screwing into endgrain or anything.

blanketchest2.thumb.jpg.53fe11824b6699b7721414af4bd86d7c.jpg

You might want to barely mortice the underside of the top. 1/32 deep is plenty. Hopefully you can get 5/8" long screws in and not affect the top. PRACTICE on scrap before you mortice or screw into your actual top. VIX bits help get the pilot holes exact on hinges & hardware. 

• Like 1

Does the hinge look strong enough.  Yes, but that's only one consideration.  As others have said; depending on what you are screwing into, the hinge itself is probably not the weakest link.

My vote goes to a piano hinge as well.  Then the lid needs some kind of lid stay.  At a minimum, a chain that would hold the lid just past 90 degrees so that it could stay open by itself without slamming down, and better if it allowed for slowing the lid down when shutting.   Finally I would not use hinges with removable pins in a horizontal position.

QHC

A casual mention that plywood can twist or warp is a possibility when a client is applying financial pressure will cover your..... it still beats particleboard that will eventually sag or crumble.  A solid wood frame with a floating panel is the best practice but financial constraints are always a trade off. 

@Dave Trendymiddlename Starr it depends on your definition of suffice. Those flat tipped butt hinges will work, Sure. But they're door hinges by design.

I work at the store that your link came from. Take a look at the torsion hinges. They're designed especially for chests and they're really nice fit and finish. The smaller, lower weight torsion hinges are pretty reasonable, price wise, and will work great for a 3/4" plywood lid. They'll keep the lid open at any setting which is nice for adults and a finger saver for kids.

Anyway, that's just my .02. 

Here is a link 

http://www.rockler.com/lid-stay-torsion-hinge-lid-support-satin-nickel

AJ

• Like 1

AJ, I’ll vouch for those. I used three (could have gotten by with two) on my blanket chest and they work great. So, you work for Rockler? Damn glad I don’t, ONLY because I would bring my pay home in trade. Love that place. 

• Like 1