Tool stand

SawDustB

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of tackling some shop organization projects before the winter. First up is a stand/cart to hold my bench top planer and small drill press. I'm considering two options:

1. Make a flip top stand for the two. This would work, and gets both tools up higher to use. The down side is it's a little more complex to build, and there's always a bunch of space wasted to let things flip.

2. Put the drill press on top and the planer on a shelf right below. This is a more compact quicker design, but results in the planer being a bit lower. That's probably OK, seeing as I use it on the floor right now, but it's a little less convenient. The nice thing about that design is it allows me to use more height for drawers in the base (2 instead of 1). It also keeps the planer center of gravity down, so less tippy.

What have you done for these kind of tools? I'm sure there's use cases I'm not thinking of.

No personal experience, but I am just wondering if a drill press might be a little top heavy to be flipped on a stand easily.  

Also keep in mind how the stand's use might evolve as your equipment changes.  For example if you stepped up to a floor standing DP or planner someday how else might you use the stand?  

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

No personal experience, but I am just wondering if a drill press might be a little top heavy to be flipped on a stand easily.  

Also keep in mind how the stand's use might evolve as your equipment changes.  For example if you stepped up to a floor standing DP or planner someday how else might you use the stand?  

No problem with the weight. It's only a small 9" drill press with 1/3 HP motor. The planer is at least 20 lb heavier.

In my current space, I can't see getting a floor standing planer. If I did upgrade the drill press, I'd probably move my combo belt/disc sander into it. I've got several bench top tools without a great home.

Looking forward to the responses and your decision.

I’m in a similar boat, and have been considering the options as well. I’ve got a lunchbox planer, spindle/belt sander, 10” drill press, and 10” bandsaw. All get shuffled around and are stored on the ground or on the shelf below my assembly table. When I want to use one, I either set it up on my assembly table, if there is space, or on the ground. Not ideal. I’ve also been trying to decide between flip top and dedicated carts. 

11 hours ago, JohnG said:

Looking forward to the responses and your decision.

I’m in a similar boat, and have been considering the options as well. I’ve got a lunchbox planer, spindle/belt sander, 10” drill press, and 10” bandsaw. All get shuffled around and are stored on the ground or on the shelf below my assembly table. When I want to use one, I either set it up on my assembly table, if there is space, or on the ground. Not ideal. I’ve also been trying to decide between flip top and dedicated carts. 

Sounds similar to me. I'm partly trying to gain a little space (or at least not lose any doing this) and to make the tools more convenient. The trouble is I have 6 bench top tools without a great home, so I'm trying to decide the best combo to put on a stand. If it works out well there might be a second one.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Go to the search bar on here and type in flip top stand. Several on here have made them. Mine holds my oscillating sander and a belt/disc sander and serves me well. 

Thanks Coop. I did search and looked through the site, only found a couple. What dimensions did you make your stand?

Thanks @gee-dub, great information as usual. I think I'm leaning back to making a flip top stand. I think I'm going to construct it a bit differently, using more construction lumber and less ply. I bought a 2x12 today and cut it up so I can make the frame. I'm going to go for around 36" high, and 24"x20" footprint.

20180930_171908.thumb.jpg.ba1717abae62ddc83d051574a184b924.jpg

For joinery of the frame, I'm looking to keep it easy. I see the quick options as 

1. Half laps (my current preference)

2. Dowels

3. Bridle joints (but no band saw, so probably cut by hand)

4. Pocket screws

Anyone see a reason not to do half laps? I know the bridle joint is probably stronger, but I'm looking for easy. Putting in the dado stack and mowing through all of them has a certain appeal.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Mine is built about the same as @gee-dub but 33” high to give me room for a drawer below. Other dimensions should be to fit your equipment. 

I like the drawer. I think that's something I'll try to incorporate. I suspect I'll end up around the same height, too.

17 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Anyone see a reason not to do half laps? I know the bridle joint is probably stronger, but I'm looking for easy. Putting in the dado stack and mowing through all of them has a certain appeal.

Properly made half laps i think are stronger but it's not super relevant because they are both stronger than the wood. I'd choose which ever you can make the best as that will be the strongest.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Properly made half laps i think are stronger but it's not super relevant because they are both stronger than the wood. I'd choose which ever you can make the best as that will be the strongest.

Awesome. Half laps it is, then. I've found that to be a reasonably good method to use with construction lumber. 

I have so many benchtop tools and such a little space (or so it seems) that I built a flip top tool bench that is much larger than the individual stands. I got the idea and modified the one in Wood magazine #220 (Sept '13). It's served me well as I have my 10-20 belt sander, Rigid oscillating sander, 6" bench jointer, 12 1/2" planer, 1" belt sander and 4x36" combo sander all attached. I had to do a lot of calculating on evening the weight and workflow patterns, but it's been great and has helped free up a lot of bench (and floor) space.

6 hours ago, fcschoenthal said:

I have so many benchtop tools and such a little space (or so it seems) that I built a flip top tool bench that is much larger than the individual stands. I got the idea and modified the one in Wood magazine #220 (Sept '13). It's served me well as I have my 10-20 belt sander, Rigid oscillating sander, 6" bench jointer, 12 1/2" planer, 1" belt sander and 4x36" combo sander all attached. I had to do a lot of calculating on evening the weight and workflow patterns, but it's been great and has helped free up a lot of bench (and floor) space.

Cool, thanks. It's a neat idea, but I don't have the wall space to dedicate so I think something smaller on wheels is the way to go for me. Thanks for sharing!

On 9/30/2018 at 6:59 PM, SawDustB said:

I like the drawer. I think that's something I'll try to incorporate. I suspect I'll end up around the same height, too.

If you orient your planer as @gee-dub has, you could potentially incorporate drop-leaf style infeed and outfeed supports. It'd be a decent place to set workpieces before and/or after drilling, too. See horrible drawing snuck in while I attempted to look very concerned and attentive during a work meeting. 

geedub_edited.jpg.5bd7e4ea40eee20f09f6b05bf425b9e2.jpg

• Like 1

I just got my casters in the mail. I found these 3" double locking ones on Amazon for less than half what they were from home Depot. They'll add 4" in height overall to the cart (which I've accounted for). They seem pretty nice. I don't need all 4 wheels to lock, but they weren't much more than normal non locking wheels and I don't feel like fiddling with different wheels to get it level.

20181004_132703.thumb.jpg.d297abd474bb881a9ad99b4aac734831.jpg

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

My crappy drill press wouldn't survive a flip top stand. The head is attached to the column with a single screw, I'm pretty sure it would fall apart if I turn the thing upside down.

Hmmmm. I should probably try a test run. Mine's not exactly a Cadillac model. I have other tools I could put on instead. My belt sander and my bench grinder could also coexist on one side.

• 1 month later...

This build has been slow. It got bumped for the step stool, and then I needed to get my steel tube to proceed. For the platform, I'm opting not to build it with doubled up 3/4 ply like most plans. It will be skinned with 1/4" ply top and bottom, with blocking in between and a solid hardwood frame. Here's the inner construction, with the important bits being hardwood, and the rest is pine.

308295222_20181110_2203382.thumb.jpg.1813e1526999a852a84d65069f59cb02.jpg

I glued on the other side, and put on the edging. It's proud on the long sides, so there's a bit more wood either side of the hole. I'm pretty sure the platform would be fine with my weight on it. It seems quite stiff.

427503748_20181111_1543543.thumb.jpg.3fb5f72d0d9a7b6736d3ff1ec67f31b7.jpg

You can see it's sitting on the frame. I connected the bottom together, but I'm waiting to place the rest of the braces until I can test fit the tools. Next up is drilling the holes for the axle to go through.

• Like 1