Plant stand

Peepaw

19 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

This pisses me off!

It's leaps better than anything I have ever made.

If you need me I'll be skulking. 

Hey now, we all learn at different rates you both picked things up faster than i did but this isn't a race or competition. Heck i can't get through dovetails by hand let alone half blind ones.

Thanks everyone.  The key is...move the camera back so the viewer can't see the gaps, mismatch, glue globs in the corners lol.

You're right Chestnut I can't compare to some of the things you've done.  Or anyone elses.  Just doing the best I can for myself...AND swmbo!!

Very, very nice job for a beginner, I'd say you got a lot of potential for sure. I would have never guessed that was your first build. The project you picked is also a great project to learn from, doing mortise and tenons, a drawer, half blind dovetails, and tapered legs. There was a ton of basic woodworking techniques in that piece.

Also I love the fact you are opening yourself up for feedback, I truly think it is that kind of attitude the fosters learning. I'm having trouble seeing the flaws you see, but as others stated we all have little things we wish we did better with each piece. My humble advice would be to continue to look for ways you can do a project better and to push yourself, that's the best way to learn.

In my profession I found the best thing I ever did was to have my work critiqued in a learning environment. My mentor told me that we'll never do something perfectly, but we'll get closer each time.  

I think you are ready for some of Spanky's lumber rather than HD pine!

From what I see it came out great.

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

all make little mistakes but learning to keep your mouth shut is hard.

This is true.

3 hours ago, ..Kev said:

The Shaker table is a great learning project as you can incorporate so many different skills in one project.

This is true, too.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Hey now, we all learn at different rates you both picked things up faster than i did but this isn't a race or competition. Heck i can't get through dovetails by hand let alone half blind ones.

Drew, I made both using Marc’s instructions on a guild build, “ Krenov - Inspired Display Stand” and they came out almost perfect, to my standards.  I still go back to it for a refresher course, I would buy it again, just for those joints. 

I like the colors you chose, and the fact that it is simply clear pine. We tend to overlook how much original shaker furniture was made from pine, and how much was painted. You've done a fine job of highlighting both features.

Care to share your milk-paint process? Finishing techniques are always a hot topic here.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Care to share your milk-paint process? Finishing techniques are always a hot topic here.

Just kept layering it on...and on and on.  Light sanding between every 3 coats or so.  Did Eric's Arm-R-Seal finish over it.  I really need help with this.  It's almost impossible to not sand through the milk paint especially on the corners.  If anyone has any advise please help.

16 hours ago, wdwerker said:

They can't see it if you don't point it out, so stop that ! 

Lol.  I'll only admit to you guys!!

2 hours ago, a1606myrsclm said:

That’s a great job, you have a good eye, the contrasting color are very pleasing!

Thanks!!  My biggest fear is if the proportions are...off...  I design everything in Solidworks.  It is easy to adjust proportions, get a cut list and detail out every component.  I kinda envy the guys that can work with a basic sketch.  That's a skill to work on,

17 hours ago, Coyote Jim said:

This pisses me off!

It's leaps better than anything I have ever made.

If you need me I'll be sulking. 

Thanks man.  I'm glad I could er, ah, ahem...piss you off?

14 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Good job!  The Shaker table is a great learning project as you can incorporate so many different skills in one project.

Thanks!! I've watched all your videos.  Really liking the workbench with your son.  Will you be detailing the milkpaint process?

7 hours ago, Peepaw said:

Thanks!! I've watched all your videos.  Really liking the workbench with your son.  Will you be detailing the milkpaint process?

Thanks..

Reality is that there just isn't anything to detail.  It's General Finishes milk paint - paint per normal process.  Feel free to drop me a pm or email if you have any questions.

23 hours ago, Peepaw said:

Thanks!!  My biggest fear is if the proportions are...off...  I design everything in Solidworks.  It is easy to adjust proportions, get a cut list and detail out every component.  I kinda envy the guys that can work with a basic sketch.  That's a skill to work on,

That's just building enough furniture from your own plans. For simple things i don't eve do a simple sketch any more it's just 3 numbers on a white baord so i don't forget the space it's supposed to fit into.