hieght of workshop tables

jumpinjim

Welcome to the forums!  I assume you're wanting to know what height to set them at?

For me, I try and set all my work surfaces at the same height as the table saw.  Just makes managing long pieces easier when everything is the same height.

A work bench where lots of hand tool work would be the exception as that should be based on your personal height.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Welcome to the forums!  I assume you're wanting to know what height to set them at?

For me, I try and set all my work surfaces at the same height as the table saw.  Just makes managing long pieces easier when everything is the same height.

A work bench where lots of hand tool work would be the exception as that should be based on your personal height.

thanks kev your response was helpful

• Like 1

Kev is spot on everything in my shop is the same height if it is around the table saw unfortunately because of my space that also included the hand tool bench but it also comes in handy this way with larger projects. 

This is my setup.

IMG_5671.thumb.jpg.c45ca18b519a99e3250e77a842d128c8.jpg

Welcome to the forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Kev is spot on everything in my shop is the sam height if it is around the table saw unfortunately because of my space that also included the hand tool bench but it also comes in handy this way with larger projects. 

This is my setup.

IMG_5671.thumb.jpg.c45ca18b519a99e3250e77a842d128c8.jpg

Welcome to the forums.

thanks for your response chet

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, gee-dub said:

I do pretty much as Kev does.  A couple exceptions are bandsaws where the table is higher for easier curve or resaw work. This also lets it clear the sander and the tablesaw over arm that is in that path.

57b4d8172fb43_GnGLowCoD(15).jpg.c15ef896845427c9e2d235c922b87962.jpg

thanks gee-dub for your responce

Opposing view: I built my bench (which is my primary and secondary work surface) at a more comfortable height to stand and work which is how I prefer to. At 6'0 I don't want to be bending my back and neck for hours on end as I do if I work at table saw height.  This decision has it's downfall in my shop. I can't run a plywood sheet over my table saw. The bench is in the way. This isn't a concern for me as I break down sheet goods on the bench with the track saw but it is a limitation.  For me, I would absolutely not work at table saw height unless it was 35" or higher.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Opposing view: I built my bench (which is my primary and secondary work surface) at a more comfortable height to stand and work which is how I prefer to. At 6'0 I don't want to be bending my back and neck for hours on end as I do if I work at table saw height.  This decision has it's downfall in my shop. I can't run a plywood sheet over my table saw. The bench is in the way. This isn't a concern for me as I break down sheet goods on the bench with the track saw but it is a limitation.  For me, I would absolutely not work at table saw height unless it was 35" or higher.

How high is your table saw? Mine's at 37", and that happened to work out for the bench height. Are cabinet saws typically lower?

3 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

How high is your table saw? Mine's at 37", and that happened to work out for the bench height. Are cabinet saws typically lower?

Mine is lower than that.  

Brendon's answer is legit.  Your primary work place needs to fit the person.  That doesn't always equal the height of the table saw.

In my original answer, I said your bench (for hand tool work) should be set to the individual.  I probably should have stated your "primary work location".

With that said, Brendon also points out the downfall in that running long pieces can also be difficult if you're not using the TS as the height for the rest.  In his case (and many others) he has another way of dealing with that.

Setting up a shop is always a series of trade offs.  Only you can decide what you can live with and what you can't.  Your shop has to be set up for you and that requires a lot of thought and planning as well as a fair share of experience.  If you're without the experience, then thought and planning as well as asking questions of others is all that you have to go on.

4 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

If you're without the experience, then thought and planning as well as asking questions of others is all that you have to go on.

And a lot of trial and error.

*Afterthought, if you are thinking of a range of heights, start at the high end. You can shorten legs but adding height is a pita.

• Like 1

My outfeed tables are just a tad lower than my UniSaw's (34" i believe) I've got my drum sander at the same height.  Sanding or ripping long stock is much easier when you allow for it when you setup the shop. My drill press table , miter saw and bandsaw are all at the same height. ( maybe 42" ?)  The miter saw uses the 8' long drill press table and the bandsaw tale to support stock, a 12" counter is the same height on the other side. It's handy to enable to cut, drill or saw 12 to 16 ft boards on occasion. I've got attachments for the drill press to make the accurately space holes for adjustable shelves plus drilling the 35mm holes for concealed hinges. 12' Tall bookcases are impractical but the client gets what he wants if he has the budget. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, ..Kev said:

Mine is lower than that.  

Brendon's answer is legit.  Your primary work place needs to fit the person.  That doesn't always equal the height of the table saw.

In my original answer, I said your bench (for hand tool work) should be set to the individual.  I probably should have stated your "primary work location".

With that said, Brendon also points out the downfall in that running long pieces can also be difficult if you're not using the TS as the height for the rest.  In his case (and many others) he has another way of dealing with that.

Setting up a shop is always a series of trade offs.  Only you can decide what you can live with and what you can't.  Your shop has to be set up for you and that requires a lot of thought and planning as well as a fair share of experience.  If you're without the experience, then thought and planning as well as asking questions of others is all that you have to go on.

I AM NEW AT THIS SO BEAR WITH ME. AFTER WORKING OVER THIRTY YEARS AS A CARPENTER, I THOUGHT I KNEW HOW TO BUILD. I KNOW HOW TO MEASURE, CUT AND ASSEMBLE DIFERENT MATERIALS, BUT,TO SET UP A WOODSHOP IS A DIFERENT BALL GAME.  MY FIRST BUILD IS GOING TO BE THE DUST CONTROL SYSTEM.  THE MACHINE AREA IS 40 BY 60 AND I PLAN TO POSITION THE 2 HP IMPELLER  AND FILTERS IN THE CENTER. TO HELP WITH NOISE CONTROL, I PLAN TO ENCLOSE THIS UNIT.  AFTER WATCHING WHAT SEEMED TO BE HUNDREDS OF VIDOES ON UTUBE, I REALIZED THAT I NEED AIRFLOW ACROSS THE MOTOR.  I SEE THAT IF I ADD A BAFFLE TO EXHAUST ON THE EXTERIOR OF THIS CABINET, IT WILL HELP WITH NOISE CONTROL.  I HAVE SEEN VERY LITTLE ON BAFFELS. IF YOU CAN STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, THAT WOULD BE GREAT,   THANKS  JUMPINJIM

Most people would hate my shop, cabinet and work table heights (39 - 40 inches), but I'm 6'6" and don't like to bend over at my age.  Oh, and my kitchen cabinets are at 39" also (my bathroom vanities are also higher than normal, but not quite 39".  Can you sell a house "for tall people only"?  Build things to your height.  Its nice to have everything at table saw height for a lot of reasons, but particularly if you are outside the "normal" stature, either higher or lower, build to be comfortable.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, Eric Anderson said:

Most people would hate my shop, cabinet and work table heights (39 - 40 inches), but I'm 6'6" and don't like to bend over at my age.  Oh, and my kitchen cabinets are at 39" also (my bathroom vanities are also higher than normal, but not quite 39".  Can you sell a house "for tall people only"?  Build things to your height.  Its nice to have everything at table saw height for a lot of reasons, but particularly if you are outside the "normal" stature, either higher or lower, build to be comfortable.  

Eric I’d love your shop being the same height as you. I built my workbench first, then put wood underneath the table saw to raise it 1/8 above that level so it would double as an out feed table. 

My wife, however, is barely 5’ tall so the house itself is normal :) 

• 3 weeks later...