Woodriver corner easing plane

Chip Sawdust

I was looking for a rounding bit at Woodcraft and they didn't have one! So the guy sold me this woodriver corner easing plane and I was wondering if anyone has used one. I'm not sure it'll do what I want; I have a ton of corners to ease on the G&G bed frame I'm building. 

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-corner-easing-plane

I have a toolbox full of small routers with roundover bits.  The 1/8" does get used a lot.  It hits tops, and bottoms of house doors, and many more uses that I can't think of.   I even have one 1/16", which makes more of a noticeable roundover than you might think.  That one gets used on door jambs.  I don't think I use anything larger than 3/8" with the small routers.  Barn posts get 3/4" by a 7518.

That plane looks interesting, but the picture makes it look like a Chamfering plane, rather than a roundover.

• Like 1

I didn't get out to the shop today but yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm planning on the router bit *shrug* 

I may keep the plane and try it on bits n pieces rather than all these spindles, stiles and legs. It's a lot... And consistency is key like gee-dub said. Last thing I want after all this effort is a poor finished result because of a tool I'm not used to doing a half-baked job. Ugh

3 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I don't use a router for eased edges at all anymore. Just a block plane and/or sand paper. Much less noisy, messy, & less chance of screwing something up. And it is just about as fast. I'll be interested in your report on that little easing plane though.

I use a block plane (or sand) as well.  But I'm interested in Gee-Dub's comment about a "doughy" look.

I've already softened the edges with a block plane and it looks OK, but there are 24 spindles and four splines plus the legs and all the cross pièces.  It's a California King size bed so it's 6' wide as well. I've used scrapers as well where the cloud lifts are, and sandpaper where those don't do the whole trick :)

• Like 1

Gee-dub I call that a well-illustrated point ! :)

So I tried the corner plane and no, it doesn't do what I want at all. If you have a board where you want to soften its edges, OK. But if you have a spindle (or 24) you want rond corners on, this ain't it. 

I've ordered the rounding bit this morning. Woodcraft is far enough across town I doubt I'll run across to return this thing. I may find a use for it somewhere else. 

I've got a 3/32 radius roundover bit that gives that tiny slight broken corner look without making the "doughy " appearance. It's sold to round the edges on ColorCore laminate which doesn't leave those brown lines. If the corner isn't perfectly flat and straight the bit doesn't cut the full profile but some sanding evens that out easily.