Outdoor Rocker

Chestnut

14 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

This Ipe is probably going to do a number on my plug cutter.... hope there is a way to sharpen them.

I've routed ipe without much irritation. Just cleaned the bit before and after.  Plug cutters usually have some beef behind it that helps w cooling. I think you'll be good

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I've routed ipe without much irritation. Just cleaned the bit before and after.  Plug cutters usually have some beef behind it that helps w cooling. I think you'll be good

I just ran out 10 plugs and i'm going to have to cut about 50% more than i need because the Ipe chips baddly. Probably just because the wood is a PITA becuase the cutter is new.

The ipe looks very nice in that oak. Another good pairing is white oak pegs in maple. Not too contrasty, but interesting & complementary.

Hey @Chestnut, what did you use to make the ipe plugs? The stuff is so nasty hard that I don't think a plug cutter would last long. It just laughs at a sharp chisel.

edit: Sorry disregard that question cause you already answered it above.

2 minutes ago, drzaius said:

The ipe looks very nice in that oak. Another good pairing is white oak pegs in maple. Not too contrasty, but interesting & complementary.

Hey @Chestnut, what did you use to make the ipe plugs? The stuff is so nasty hard that I don't think a plug cutter would last long. It just laughs at a sharp chisel.

I'm using the veritas snug plug cutter. It's handling it well but some of the long grain edges chip off.

Just now, Chestnut said:

I'm using the veritas snug plug cutter. It's handling it well but some of the long grain edges chip off.

I wonder how well it would work cutting the plugs into endgrain & then slicing them off the board. Might be less chipping that way.

2 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I wonder how well it would work cutting the plugs into endgrain & then slicing them off the board. Might be less chipping that way.

Maybe but i'm not sure if i'd like how much darker the end grain is going to look compared to face grain. It's only 1 in 4 that chip so baddly they are unusable so it's not so bad. Slowing down the feed rate helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

I hear you about the Osmo. Its a European product thats just recently came to our side of the pond. I got mine through Amazon.

The availability through Amazon is spotty for their product line. Has the most popular stuff like indoor products and that's really it. Their outdoor stuff is lacking. I also wish they specified what their biocide was.