Felder now has flesh detection tech!

Mick S

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

I bet Sawstop isn’t happy about them calling it PCS :P

I don't know why, PCS on a SawStop just means Professional Cabinet Saw.  They also have ICS  or Industrial Cabinet Saw. ;)

Mick have you heard anything on pricing? I am guessing its $$$$$ being a Felder item.

7 hours ago, Chet said:

I don't know why, PCS on a SawStop just means Professional Cabinet Saw.  They also have ICS  or Industrial Cabinet Saw. ;)

Mick have you heard anything on pricing? I am guessing its $$$$$ being a Felder item.

True, but SS is the only one I’ve seen using that as an identifier for their saw. If anyone says they have a PCS, you know what they mean. Obviously it doesn’t really matter, but it seems to me like a bit of poking the bear. 

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Felder's description of the tech sounds like a different system than Sawstop uses. Even so, if they didn't license it from SS, I smell a lawsuit in the air.

From their website it looks like it is actually not flesh contact detection, but more like flesh proximity detection. If this is the case, I would guess they will be able to fend off potential lawsuits from Sawstop. I’m sure Sawstop is reviewing patents though.

3 hours ago, Bankstick said:

If they can show it is different than the SS patent, they are home free! Any patent can be modified to get around the original patent. Or wait until the patent runs out.

Except “home free” still likely means months of legal battles and many many thousands of dollars of SS thinks they are infringing on any of their patents. 

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Wasn't the SS patent just about expired?

Their oldest ones are getting close (2021 maybe? I forget) but they can potentially extend the patents or file new patents if substantial improvements are mnade. They also have other newer patents that are not expiring soon. 

I don't know anything else about it. I just saw this on IG. SS was purchased by the company that owns Festool. Festool itself is coming out with a TS with the technology. Maybe they struck a deal with Felder to share some patent info.

The inventor of the technology did a similar type of video several years back. Actually touched the blade with his thumb while it was running.

6 hours ago, Mark J said:

What I really want to know is if the blade gets destroyed or if it can be reused like the Bosch system.

Web site claims blade is undamaged, simply reset the trigger and return to work. Note that it only appears to be available on the big sliding saw(s), at least for now.

The technological description is rather vague, but it sounds like they might be using some different sensing technique. Hopefully, this signals a trend of tool manufacturers intoducing such safety features across the market, and driving the price down a bit.