cloth for wipe on finishes

Chet

I have always used old white tee shirts for wipe on finishes but I was wondering if anyone had used tee shirts that were colors other then white.  I have a number of Carhartt Tee's that need to be retired and I would like to give them a second life but I didn't know if the dye in the tee's would effect the finish in any way.

I recently bought a tee shirt at our class reunion and our colors were black and gold. Why in the wold I bought a medium, I guess was wishful thinking. The shirt is gold with black something or another. After washing one time, I cut it into pieces without the black lettering and used it with some ARS on walnut with no problem. I know, not a good taste test. :mellow:

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

I bought an 8 pound bag of cotton rags from a big box store.  I emptied them into the washing machine, and added a light touch of bleach.  The lint trap got full, but now I have a drawer full of soft clean white rags that really work for me.

Man i never thought about that. I always hate how much lint those things have. Thanks!

• Like 1