Surfboard Build- Longboard

Bmac

Looks good.   The size, and thickness of the paper worried me, when I saw it, but it looks like you made out.  The Hobie Cat boxes spoiled me.  A pair of them covered about 12 x 20 feet, wouldn't tear under foot, and no resin would penetrate all the way through.  I had a dealership in the '80's, and they would come 18 to a semi load.  Jet skiis took that market.

• Thanks 1

It's specifically made for surf boards and this application. Here's a link if you are interested in reading about it.

https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/collections/surfboard-glassing/products/resin-research-2000ce-ultra-with-slow-hardener

You are not the first on to ask about the epoxy, I think most people are assuming I'm using something we use in woodworking. I'm not sure if this could be used in woodworking, but I don't see why not. This has a blue tint to it also and is made that way because, as the product description says, it helps white boards look whiter.

• Thanks 1

That came out great B.

I use a MAPP gas flame and wave it over air bubbles when I use epoxy for filling cracks or knots,  but I don't know if that would work when using the epoxy with the fiberglass cloth.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

Wax will be added to the deck area for traction. 

Sex wax is an awesome product. Used it all the time to get some extra grip on hockey sticks. The second thing i remember is how good it smells.

I never realized it was for surfing until i saw the product in California on the beaches.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I was surprised to see how well the wood shows through the fiberglass.  Is it just one layer of cloth?

Yes, it is amazing how the wood figure just pops through the fiberglass. Once it's saturated with epoxy it almost becomes invisible.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I'm a bit surprised to find that a single layer is enough to do anything structurally?

The plan called for 2 layers on top and one on the bottom. But that was referencing a foam surf board build, so I'm very comfortable with one layer. The side rails effectively have 2 layers as I wrapped each layer around the side rails to the other side.