I Think I have a Wood Hoarding Problem

Bmac

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Nowhere close to being a problem yet.  I have an Cousin who called me a short while ago, and asked if I had anywhere he could move his 13,000 ft of Walnut to.  It is in an old barn, and he is expecting the barn to fall down any time.  That's a problem.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with issues

Bmac. Milling wood and air drying requires a significant amount of time.  There is rotation of your stock also. So add some labor to the mix. I have questions about your situation. How old are you? Are you fit? Is this your business? Do you have help? I think those answers would influence my humble opinion about your wood hoarding . Expect my answer to be biased being a hoarder myself. My amount of stock is less though.

Just now, treeslayer said:

It’s better to have wood in times of no money than money in times of no wood, I don’t see a problem except that maybe you need to build a large dedicated wood shed to store it all in one place, just make it big enough:)

I think you and I are thinking the same!

• Like 1

My Dad was a wood hoarder all his life.  One old stable that was full of wood did collapse on it.  If he had known about Spanky, before he left here in 2006, he would have kept a truck on the road, back and forth.  I've moved some of it here, but most has just gone to waste in deteriorating old buildings.

• Sad 1

So how many board feet total, just W.A.G (wild a** guess) it? I was worried about my self but now you make me feel a lot better. I estimate that i'm somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 BF.

I also want to get into chainsaw milling very soon. I've almost pulled the trigger on a 661 multiple times but know i need a 15" planer first. Though the wood does have to dry a long time so maybe the chainsaw is the better first buy.... bah decisions!

• Like 1

Bmac. Not to worry. From your answers, keep doing what you are doing.Most importantly you like what you are doing. See if you can addict someone younger than you in preparation for a future succession. You are young enough not to need to hurry. It might be fun to teach a kid...And addict them too...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Is the black wrap landscape fabric?

That fabric is the windscreen fabric you see on fences, esp baseball outfield fences. It allows air to move through it. So I use that to shade the piles from the direct sun but still allowing air flow. I don't need to put it all the way around, I typically just put it on the southern facing side of the pile. Direct sun will typically cause checking and uneven drying.

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So how many board feet total, just W.A.G (wild a** guess) it? I was worried about my self but now you make me feel a lot better. I estimate that i'm somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 BF.

I also want to get into chainsaw milling very soon. I've almost pulled the trigger on a 661 multiple times but know i need a 15" planer first. Though the wood does have to dry a long time so maybe the chainsaw is the better first buy.... bah decisions!

Boy I wish I knew how many board feet I have, but I don't think my guess would be accurate at all. I've never been someone who has purchased lumber, when I started woodworking I did it with my Grandfather and he milled all his wood from his farm. So I've milled basically almost all the wood I've worked with and have never had a good feel for board feet. I think when you buy it you understand board feet and what certain amounts of it look like. Also this wood has a lot of defects, board feet isn't as accurate of a measurement. Usable board feet and total board feet do vary significantly with rough milled lumber.

Chainsaw milling is something I got into about 5 years ago, my Grandfather had passed and I didn't have the equip to move logs but I had access to the farm. Get the chainsaw first, you said you had access to logs, milling will save you more money than the planer. 

10 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I’m not sure but I think I have two board feet more than you. :lol:

Well if that means if I place an order with you I'll have more? Still waiting on those Red Gum pics.

• Like 1

As if I don't have anything else to do, I find the price on these very tempting.  I owned a chainsaw mill back in the early 80's, with two powerheads.  It was not only a lot of work, but the best logs always belonged to someone else, they wanted to keep all the good parts, and I ended up selling the rig.

http://cookssaw.com/mp-32-sawmill/