Cherry Roubo

Chestnut

52 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Looking good, and I like the fact that you understand this is a workbench, not a piece of fine furniture! What are you using for the legs, Cherry?

By the way, you can't put off those chairs forever. 

Legs are goign to be cherry. The chop is going to be walnut or I might dig through some of the exotics i got in a package deal and veneer an exotic to the chop face or even the deadman. Despite it being a bench it's goign to be the focal point when you walk in my shop so i do want it to have some wow factor. The wow factor is mostly for myself.

11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Legs are goign to be cherry. The chop is going to be walnut or I might dig through some of the exotics i got in a package deal and veneer an exotic to the chop face or even the deadman. Despite it being a bench it's goign to be the focal point when you walk in my shop so i do want it to have some wow factor. The wow factor is mostly for myself.

Sure, I get that, but in the end it's still a bench. If it doesn't look beat up and used in 10 years you are not really doing work on it.

Dog holes round or square? I went with round and am perfectly satisfied. 

• Like 1

For the Roubo builders out there. Is there any reason to have so much dead space under neath the bottom shelf? I plan on making under bench storage and am kicking around lowering the bottom shelf piratically to the floor. I know this will change the length of the deadman but I don't see any other reasons it wouldn't work.

Tell me if I'm missing something.

27 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

For the Roubo builders out there. Is there any reason to have so much dead space under neath the bottom shelf? I plan on making under bench storage and am kicking around lowering the bottom shelf piratically to the floor. I know this will change the length of the deadman but I don't see any other reasons it wouldn't work.

Tell me if I'm missing something.

No reason other than your feet fitting under it while you're at the bench..  I lowered the bottom on the last one that I built..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

No reason other than your feet fitting under it while you're at the bench..  I lowered the bottom on the last one that I built..

I didn't think of the feet thing. I placed a board under my current bench that will stop my toes from going under, lets see if it bothers me. If any one things of anything else let me know. As i see it, lowering the shelf just provides less space to store wood shavings and sawdust.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.   I really like working with cherry.   It's not too hard, it's not too soft... has a tendency to burn but as long as you keep things moving that can be avoided.   And it just looks gorgeous with a clear oil finish.

I'm not so sure about the tail vise.   I bought this Veritas inset vise, and I used it occasionally, but I really think I'd be better served with simple holdfasts and keep meaning to order a pair of those Gramercy ones.

I wish I had a secret stash of cherry... I've only got a few boards left from my last Youngblood trip and now they're closed. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I wish I had a secret stash of cherry... I've only got a few boards left from my last Youngblood trip and now they're closed.

If you are a guild member and can swing slightly larger orders the stock i got from Industrial Lumber was pretty good. Though this stash is from my last youngbloods trip when i bought every stick of 5/4 and 8/4 cherry they had.

I haven't had any rust issues on the plates through 3 shops so, you're probably overkill there as I never treated mine with anything.  Nothing wrong with what you did though.

I am curious about the knobs..  I've ordered a few BC leg vise set ups and haven't seen these..  What the hell are they?

8 hours ago, ..Kev said:

I haven't had any rust issues on the plates through 3 shops so, you're probably overkill there as I never treated mine with anything.  Nothing wrong with what you did though.

I am curious about the knobs..  I've ordered a few BC leg vise set ups and haven't seen these..  What the hell are they?

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2019/01/about-our-pricing-in-2019-and-our-vise.html?m=1

There was a lot of backlash and many requests to have an option with no knobs, or pay extra for wood knobs, but BC just shot all of it down and said they would never do those things. 

9 minutes ago, JohnG said:

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2019/01/about-our-pricing-in-2019-and-our-vise.html?m=1

There was a lot of backlash and many requests to have an option with no knobs, or pay extra for wood knobs, but BC just shot all of it down and said they would never do those things. 

Interesting read, thanks!

@Chestnut, you could send those knobs to me..  

8 hours ago, ..Kev said:

What the hell are they?

Yeah the above blog post. For some reason the would only sell knobs that were infused wood which confuses me as hand plane totes and knobs see more abuse and hold up fine. I don't know why they didn't just turn knobs from cherry, maple or walnut.

I'm just going to turn some knobs from macassar ebony or bocote or well anything. Something wood is goign to be more pleasant to use than these things they feel really cold.

As a side note the thing that draws me the most to LN planes is that they use cherry for their knobs and totes. Not because i love cherry, which i do, but because it's a nice touch with out being garish like some exotics can be.

10 hours ago, ..Kev said:

X2 regarding rust issues but probably not a bad idea none the less.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah the above blog post. For some reason the would only sell knobs that were infused wood which confuses me as hand plane totes and knobs see more abuse and hold up fine. I don't know why they didn't just turn knobs from cherry, maple or walnut.

I'm just going to turn some knobs from macassar ebony or bocote or well anything. Something wood is goign to be more pleasant to use than these things they feel really cold.

As a side note the thing that draws me the most to LN planes is that they use cherry for their knobs and totes. Not because i love cherry, which i do, but because it's a nice touch with out being garish like some exotics can be.

That's what I did 20 minutes of work and now they match my bench

• Like 2