Cherry Roubo

Chestnut

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Looks awesome Drew! Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I have mine. Having a properly outfitted bench has definitely improved the quality of my work and its much more enjoyable to do as well. 

What he said. ;)

• Thanks 1

Still have plenty of work left. I need to make the deadman, create the gap stop, ease the edges, figure out a temporary bottom shelf, and apply some sort of finish.

The gap between the slabs is larger than Marc's and my plan is to make the gapstop large enough in a way that tools can be stored there but that they will sit below the bench surface.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, Chestnut said:

[...]

Currently i have the BC leg hardware on it's way to my door. I also purchased a twin turbo vise from Andy Klien. In the future I'll buy and install the tail vise but it's not a priority currently. Despite what BC claims i don't see the tail vise being the imperative first vise to buy.

I'm curious about where you will put the turbo vise - at one end of the bench, leaving the other end for the tail vise?

14 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Interesting spin on the gap stop. I kinda wish that mine had part of it with a narrower gap, so that some of my smaller tools could sit in it. Not as much of an issue with the tool cabinet above, but something I've considered changing by making an insert.

I didn't take the best pictures but i have a couple slots that have bottoms to serve as storage areas. I also have a fairly wide area that is sort of an open slate. I expect to glue some thin strips to the sides to make a narrow opening for smaller tools as the need arises. I'll see if i can remember to take a picture.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bglenden said:

I'm curious about where you will put the turbo vise - at one end of the bench, leaving the other end for the tail vise?

I'm leaning towards directly in the middle on the opposite side of the bench from the leg and tail vise. I don't really want to straddle a bench leg with it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bmac said:

That cherry is too pretty for a workbench, I'm thinking of all the chairs you could have made from it.

Nonsense. The price was right. it was only about $200 for all the wood. Can't get maple for that. Probably can't even get #2com oak for that.

There was a lot of sap and wane in the boards for the top so half of this would have ended up as scrap anyway. It ate about 80 BF of cherry and by my estimates it'd have made 3 maybe 4 chairs depending on placement of sapwood and defects.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Ok maybe it does hold a bit better but only because i can get more leverage

Get some crubber from Benchcrafted and glue to both faces of the vice and you will be amazed at how much better is will hold something and with less torque.  Really worth the few bucks.

The bench does look nice, what did you end up using for finish?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Nonsense. The price was right. it was only about $200 for all the wood. Can't get maple for that. Probably can't even get #2com oak for that.

There was a lot of sap and wane in the boards for the top so half of this would have ended up as scrap anyway. It ate about 80 BF of cherry and by my estimates it'd have made 3 maybe 4 chairs depending on placement of sapwood and defects.

It has pretty good looking figure, that's all I was getting at.

I think I get some of my prettiest cherry from cherry logs that are not the straightest or cleanest. When it's dried it may have wane sapwood, but it has character.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

Get some crubber from Benchcrafted and glue to both faces of the vice and you will be amazed at how much better is will hold something and with less torque.  Really worth the few bucks.

The bench does look nice, what did you end up using for finish?

I must admit i have the crubber pieces sitting in my shop near my bench i just need to install them. The hold even without them is dang good though.

I used wipe on poly, for 1 reason. When i need to apply a little bit to something i made on the lathe i can wipe the extra finish on the bench top. I already have like 6 coats on the top. I do most of my finishing as the last thing for the night so constantly adding finish to the top doesn't inconvenience me.

10 minutes ago, Bmac said:

It has pretty good looking figure, that's all I was getting at.

I think I get some of my prettiest cherry from cherry logs that are not the straightest or cleanest. When it's dried it may have wane sapwood, but it has character.

This was not pretty character, it was loose knots and ugly torn up wane. There were some nice pieces in the batch that were what you describe and never made it into the bench. Oh i should say it was just the 1 board for the front and back that looked nice. All the junky stuff is trapped in the middle never to be seen again..

1006190842.thumb.jpg.915c8463669130a369e36db20bcec0c7.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Okay, I'll restate, the boards I see have great figure, your bench is veneered with the pretty stuff. 

Great job with the bench by the way.

I didn't mean to be augmentative, i just don't want you to think i foolishly wasted good material on a workbench. While I kind of maybe did a little bit, for the most part I used iffy material.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Awesome job, Drew!  

Being too lazy to look up the guild plans, can someone explain why the overhang is so long on one end? My crappy roubo-ish bench of box store white wood has about 16" overhand at one end, but the other end is flush with the legs. That's where I mounted my vise.

Some overhang can be nice when assembling cases that have three sides. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Being too lazy to look up the guild plans, can someone explain why the overhang is so long on one end? My crappy roubo-ish bench of box store white wood has about 16" overhand at one end, but the other end is flush with the legs. That's where I mounted my vise.

The long overhang is the tail vise side. I think the hardware has 14" of travel so needs a larger over hang. The other side is shorter probably to make the base a bit larger and increase stability. I think mine is a bit different from the plans as I made my base larger to some day put a storage box underneath.

• Thanks 1