Finally in the shop again

BillyJack

30 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@BillyJack, how do those spade bits work out for you? Any tricks to cutting a clean hole? I seem to get a lot of tear-out around the edges when I use them.

I know it's a PITA, but if you start your hole with a brad point or forstner, then go to the spade bit, your surface will have a clean hole.   Then you can always sharpen the spade bits with a tad of an angle on the two points, and see how that will work.  Sharpen only on the inside. 

Actually this came unexpected and taking time to soak it in...

Put days into the shop vs all the nights I use to when I was younger. Im really into poker tables, shuffle board tsbles, etc. Got a lot of things to build for the grand daughters room. I figured first things first. Get the shop more suitable to my needs.....

Got walnut blanks and legs for a shuffleboard I've had glued for 2 years and a poker started fir 3 yrs. Gonna get them started again...

0506521E-4D04-4797-88A1-7DEF69BB6D62.jpeg.70b3ac8b639943222dd7e0faae2e43ae.jpeg

Rebound__30423.1567794958.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg.390866e42187e459f41594329af57a49.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyJack said:

taking time to soak it in...

That's a smart move.  Take some time with this, it's a big life step.  But let me give you some unsolicited advice, people say you need a new identity/purpose, a new answer to the "what do you do" question.   

Retirement is a strange occupation. I went from driving all over this country for more years than anyone should, and I found that it took me more than three years to drive into town. I did nothing but work in my tiny shop, and play gardener.  I never went off my little one acre.  I still haven't found that  idenitity/purpose yet.  It like "closure"  I'm not sure I want it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Honestly since I'm home all the time  my wife calls me Hazel....

Shirley-Booth-as-Hazel-240x300.jpg

One of the older ladies in our office put up a notice in the break room “ clean up after yourself as Hazel doesn’t work here”. No one knew what she was talking about. 

• Haha 2

I retired two years ago by choice and did not suffer any retirement transition issues.  I have been very pleased spending time getting my shop setup, woodworking, traveling, cooking BBQ, and playing video games.  I have no idea how I had time to go to a job every day for 30+ years.  

You have built some major projects, very nicely done.   Your shop projects are looking great as well.  

• Like 1

The shop was always production so it will never be fancy. Hard to start over. I found out each time I organize I have to find a place for stuff that doesn't work there anymore...

If I had to start over I would have painted the concrete. #1 thing you should do with a garage shop...

I thought I would have surgery  and go back to work but it didn't go that way...forced disability...