Saw Blade Choice

rainjer

I am in the need for a new blade for my table saw. I am looking for a recommendation for a good reasonable priced blade. I tend to cut more plywood than hard wood and box store lumber right now but I am hoping to start working more in hardwoods as soon as I get my jointer up ad running ad I get myself a thickness planer to be able to process the rough cut lumber. 

What is the best blade for the price?

Jeremy

CMT. I would buy a combination blade. The shop that sharpens my blades sells CMT blades for a bit less than suggested retail. If these blades are a little too rich for you try an upper end Freud combination blade. I used Freud for years before switching to CMT.

I run Freud blade primarily in my TS I also use separate blades for ripping, crosscut, and plywood. Having said that if your looking for a quality blade for everything go with a combo blade. I have some Woodworker II combo blades but honestly I find the Freud to be very good for a fraction of the cost.  If you do mostly sheet goods and can afford a couple blades the higher tooth count on a plywood blade will definitely give you a superior cut quality, then grab a combo blade for everything else.

I like the Dimar woodpecker blades, if you're looking for thin kerf. They're just thick enough that they still work with a standard riving knife, give a decent cut, and they're pretty reasonable. I standardized on them for my rip, combo, and cross cut blade since then my fence measurement and my cross cut sled work with them.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I run Freud blade primarily in my TS I also use separate blades for ripping, crosscut, and plywood.

I do the same thing my rip is their glue line rip and I have been real happy with the freud blades.  I have had the ones I have now for 5 years and only sharpened them once.  Keep them clean and don't abuse them and they hold up well

If I were to get a combo I would probably be looking at the Woodworker II.

• Like 1

My dirty little secret....

7 1/4" circular saw blades work fine on a standard arbor, are thin kerf, cheap, and disposable. They are my go-to for sheet goods, since the glue inside is hard on cutting edges, and required cut depth rarely exceeds one inch.

Buy a couple of $10 blades and save the good stuff for fine hardwoods.

• Like 1