SawStop setup issue

MJC

Freud Industrial full kerf. I'd get a blade that has a flat tooth grind (FTG) as that tooth geometry has a lot of uses on a table saw. If you have a combination tooth count a rip tooth count would be beneficial. I don't know what the stock blade is from SS. Reason I say rip blade is because even with a 3 hp saw you really should use the proper blade for the task at hand. Ripping wood over 1.5" thick should be done with a ripping blade. It allows the blade to cut more efficiently building up less heat. Heat will damage saw blades quite quickly.

So i take it the rub is not a consistent rub but sounds like there is something rubbing once per revolution of the blade? Sounds like a warped saw blade to me.

Ok so I am a bit frustrated over this saw to say the least.

SawStop called back and said to use the saw that they all rub out of the box like this and that it will go away after some use. He did still suggest getting a good blade because he said they are not in the blade market. My initial question to them was why was I buying a new blade to troubleshoot the saw when they should send me a new blade to do this.

Any thoughts were on this blade https://www.woodcraft.com/products/forrest-ww10407125-woodworker-ii-carbide-tipped-circular-saw-blade-10-x-40-tooth  

59 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Freud Industrial full kerf. I'd get a blade that has a flat tooth grind (FTG) as that tooth geometry has a lot of uses on a table saw. If you have a combination tooth count a rip tooth count would be beneficial. I don't know what the stock blade is from SS. Reason I say rip blade is because even with a 3 hp saw you really should use the proper blade for the task at hand. Ripping wood over 1.5" thick should be done with a ripping blade. It allows the blade to cut more efficiently building up less heat. Heat will damage saw blades quite quickly.

So i take it the rub is not a consistent rub but sounds like there is something rubbing once per revolution of the blade? Sounds like a warped saw blade to me.

Now that I ran the blade up and down and then they had me do it at a 45 it has limited the amount of rub quite a bit. 

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Personally Forrest WWII's are WAY over rated. You could get a freud Industrial that will perform as good and cost 1/3rd as much. I have quite a few Freud Industrial blades they are good blades that last a long time. They have good thick carbide and can be resharpened 3-5 times before they need to be replaced. This is the same as the Forrest blades I have. CMT Industrial blades are just as good but i don't have experience as I like Red more than Orange....

I have a Forrest WWII spent a lot on it, it cuts wood, i don't really care for it. Reason I don't like it is mine developed a wobble after little use and doesn't cut clean. Also the saw plate rings really badly causing the blade to be really loud while cutting vs the Freud counterpart.

This blade is the one i use 90% of the time been running it for 4 years now still sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-50T-Combination-Blade-LU84R011/dp/B0000225V8/ref=pd_bxgy_2/140-8593622-0421269?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000225V8&pd_rd_r=3efc1838-42a6-4615-ad55-d8bd0b2261bf&pd_rd_w=nYM3G&pd_rd_wg=LwfR8&pf_rd_p=fd08095f-55ff-4a15-9b49-4a1a719225a9&pf_rd_r=1ACQBGMT342WJG078NFJ&psc=1&refRID=1ACQBGMT342WJG078NFJ

If i need to rip thick hadwoods I switch blades to something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225UD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

44 minutes ago, MJC said:

I run that blade, and I like it.  A lot of people like the Freuds, and there are other blades out there that get good reviews (Ridge Carbide, Tenryu).

+1 to Chestnut's advice above about a rip blade... even if you have a good combo blade, get a rip blade for the thicker rip cuts.

I have to step back to something @gee-dub asked earlier, I apoligize if it was answered but I didn't see it answered. The ZCI that came with my sawstop had no slot cut into it. The directions were to lower the blade, put the insert in, turn blade on and slowly raise the blade to cut the slot. That's the whole idea behind the ZCI insert, the slot is only supposed to be as wide as the blade and the slot needs to be cut out by your blade. Was that how your insert was supplied or did it already have the slot cut?

If it already had the slot cut in your ZCI (which would make me wonder why we are calling it a ZCI), the slot is probably the reason. Saw blades are thickest at the teeth, when you raise the blade the thinner part of the blade was not rubbing the slot at the problem area, when you lower the blade the thicker teeth are hitting the slot in the problem area. If the slot was already cut I just think the slot is off, to me that seems the most logical cause. 

If you actually cut the slot than in theory you should have no rubbing. But if there is rubbing it likely means you just need to run the saw and cut the slot wider by raising and lowering the blade.  

Ditto on the Freud blades, just stay away from the thin kerf models, they are typicall too thin for the riving knife. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I have to step back to something @gee-dub asked earlier, I apoligize if it was answered but I didn't see it answered. The ZCI that came with my sawstop had no slot cut into it. The directions were to lower the blade, put the insert in, turn blade on and slowly raise the blade to cut the slot. That's the whole idea behind the ZCI insert, the slot is only supposed to be as wide as the blade and the slot needs to be cut out by your blade. Was that how your insert was supplied or did it already have the slot cut?

If it already had the slot cut in your ZCI (which would make me wonder why we are calling it a ZCI), the slot is probably the reason. Saw blades are thickest at the teeth, when you raise the blade the thinner part of the blade was not rubbing the slot at the problem area, when you lower the blade the thicker teeth are hitting the slot in the problem area. If the slot was already cut I just think the slot is off, to me that seems the most logical cause. 

If you actually cut the slot than in theory you should have no rubbing. But if there is rubbing it likely means you just need to run the saw and cut the slot wider by raising and lowering the blade.  

Ditto on the Freud blades, just stay away from the thin kerf models, they are typicall too thin for the riving knife. 

I'm kind of at a loss also. I don't see that it's a problem at all. That's how ZCIs work.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Personally Forrest WWII's are WAY over rated. You could get a freud Industrial that will perform as good and cost 1/3rd as much. I have quite a few Freud Industrial blades they are good blades that last a long time. They have good thick carbide and can be resharpened 3-5 times before they need to be replaced. This is the same as the Forrest blades I have. CMT Industrial blades are just as good but i don't have experience as I like Red more than Orange....

I have a Forrest WWII spent a lot on it, it cuts wood, i don't really care for it. Reason I don't like it is mine developed a wobble after little use and doesn't cut clean. Also the saw plate rings really badly causing the blade to be really loud while cutting vs the Freud counterpart.

This blade is the one i use 90% of the time been running it for 4 years now still sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-50T-Combination-Blade-LU84R011/dp/B0000225V8/ref=pd_bxgy_2/140-8593622-0421269?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000225V8&pd_rd_r=3efc1838-42a6-4615-ad55-d8bd0b2261bf&pd_rd_w=nYM3G&pd_rd_wg=LwfR8&pf_rd_p=fd08095f-55ff-4a15-9b49-4a1a719225a9&pf_rd_r=1ACQBGMT342WJG078NFJ&psc=1&refRID=1ACQBGMT342WJG078NFJ

If i need to rip thick hadwoods I switch blades to something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225UD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Thanks Chestnut!

17 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Yes the slot was already cut.

I second Chestnut’s 50T Freud combo. I’ve been running one of those for a long time now and although I see a couple chips in it now, it still cuts nice and smooth. It is a thinner kerf than some, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue for either saw I have (DeWalt and Ridgid). But I also have the thicker rip blade, and the 40T blade that came with the saw (I think I’ve used it once, maybe twice). It’s not a bad blade, but I like the good blades better. They’re gooder :) 

Have you tried putting blade stabilizers on your blade? That’ll throw off the riving knife setting but it should take out the blade wobble. That is, if I’m following this thread correctly. 
For ZCIs I’ve always bought non-cut inserts and raised my blade into them; a blade stabilizer will of course offset any ZCI cut so make sure you want to use it (or not) before cutting your insert. 

So not sure if anyone else is interested but Travis Davis is the guy I spoke with last from Saw Stop and was really helpful. He has a page that is setup for SawStop owners who can go there for information and I believe he said it is linked to Facebook somehow. I don't have Facebook and I don't know how it works. Anyway I guess he and maybe some others monitor the page on weekends when there is no support available at the company. I thought this was pretty cool and shows how much passion they have for this. 

https://www.trentdavis.net/wp/2018/08/06/helpful-sawstop-links/

I appreciate all the help from everyone and I guess I can go make some test cuts and see how those come out.

I ran a comparison between  Amana and Freud and found the Amana gave me more routes between sharpenings. I can only imagine the Freud saw blades would be less as well. I had Charles from Freud on Woodnet tell me it must be a bad raised panel bit. I guess that's always the answer.  

I prefer to pay a dollar more and save it o the sharpenings as there will be less...

I'll just toss this warning out...  Freud thin kerf blades have a kerf of .091"... which is too thin for the sawstop riving knife and guard.

I messed up, misread the package on a Fusion P410T blade I bought last year and finally tried to use... it said 3/32" and then after it was binding up on me I saw the .091" below the 3/32".

6 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I'll just toss this warning out...  Freud thin kerf blades have a kerf of .091"... which is too thin for the sawstop riving knife and guard.

I messed up, misread the package on a Fusion P410T blade I bought last year and finally tried to use... it said 3/32" and then after it was binding up on me I saw the .091" below the 3/32".

4 post up I posted a link from a sawstop tech guy. Read the post about Thin Kerf Blades and Riving Knives. You can use the blade you mention if you adjust the riving knife. He explains everything in in great detail on his page.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I know it should be on the right because it is a left tilt saw but I didn't wanna do it that way. 

Absolutely nothing right or wrong about your choice.  I did my Incra 5000 sled the same way on my saw (SawStop).  The side you are one allows you to use it with your dado stack with the sled, something I do a lot more then the times I have the blade tilted at an angle.  I use my other Incra miter gauge for cuts with the blade set at an angle.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Absolutely nothing right or wrong about your choice.  I did my Incra 5000 sled the same way on my saw (SawStop).  The side you are one allows you to use it with your dado stack with the sled, something I do a lot more then the times I have the blade tilted at an angle.  I use my other Incra miter gauge for cuts with the blade set at an angle.

Well that is good to know because I never thought about that and wouldn't even have thought that far ahead. I did buy the dado brake and insert I just need to pick out a dado set which I think I am going to go with this one https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked/dp/B0002ZU6X4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1512687796&sr=1-1&keywords=dewalt+dw7670&linkCode=sl1&tag=trentdavisdot-20&linkId=06a4fe387a6631680216b617e48241af