Instagram Carousel Help

Mark J

I am going to post this here because you folks are way more social media savvy than moi, and because I have not turned up a solution with my Internet searches.  On the advice of others I started an Instagram account for my turned work, but I am so frustrated with the fool thing that I am on the verge of just dumping Instagram.  

The most recent problem is with sharing multiple images in a single post, what Instagram calls the Carousel function.  I just can't get this to work.  I have searched the Internet and tried every suggestion I found, some I was able to do and others (e.g. updating Instagram) I was not, but nothing has resulted in a successful post.  I have seen other accounts successfully use the carousel function so it must work for some, so I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether this feature only works for a lucky few or whether there is something I need to do to make it work for me?  

Following Instagram's own instructions I select three or four small resolution photo's from my phone's gallery and "share" these with the carousel button.  But all I get is a perpetual message to the effect of Not Posted Yet, Try Later.  The photos were taken together and are all the same format.  I have deleted the cache.  Instagram is baked into the phone so I can't delete and reload the app and apparently I can't manually update the app either, but the feature does not work if I go to the website, either.  I can use carousel to post a single picture, but not so much as two.  I am using WiFi at home, and whatever speed it is, it's the same WiFi connection that gets us Netflix.  

The fate of the free world does not hang in the balance, but I would like to tidy up my Instagram page.  Any one get this feature to work?

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Yes, the same WiFi signal that I will later use to watch Netflix.  You can only upload photos to Instagram from a phone (:angry:).  My phone is an LG Stylo 2 Android v7.0.

There is a way to post from a computer but it doesn't solve the carosoul problem. This is odd, it'd be too bad if it's just because of an old device ruining an old version of android. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the reason. Seems like they do what ever then can to try and drive more device sales. I don't even know who I'd ask to solve this problem.

I just started using Instagram a couple of months ago and uploaded a few dozen photos, all square format and a few times I did the max allowed each time (10, I think).  Only after I posted these did my daughter tell me that my landscape photos of Yosemite, my widescreen photos of my work, etc. can be posted as they are and not square.

So I now post full size photos in wide format.  To do that use the icon/button on the bottom left to toggle between square and widescreen.

Square

1036658728_Instagram-widescreenuploadbutton.thumb.jpg.96039fecd39fdc4c4c78ed2266cc4952.jpg

Widescreen

1001081020_Instagram-widescreenuploadbutton2.thumb.jpg.e58930f29f136824ff61bd8182872865.jpg

David

Mark, it may be a network speed or name resolution issue. Try it at your local house of free wifi, Starbuck's or Mickey D's or something. My android is prior to yours, but I can do the multiple-photo carousel upload, most of the time. We have enough download speed to watch Netflix (again, MOST of the time), but upload speed is waaaaay slower. I frequently time out trying to upload images here, for example.

• Thanks 1

@wtnhighlander Brings up a good point. Download speed is not the same as upload speed. Being able to watch netflix doesn't mean that you have enough speed to upload many large images before the connection times out. Try with 2 small images first then see how it goes?

Most ISP have like 30 Mbps down and only 1 mbps up (this is an example your numbers will vary) upload is usually much MUCH slower. There is a good chance if you have a solid 4g connection that your phone service is faster.

Perhaps upload speed is the problem.  I have tried both WiFi and 4G and with as few as two sub 1 MB pictures.  I can try Starbucks and the library, maybe later today.  

(I will mention that the timeout duration is determined by Instagram, so they are still not winning any points with me).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...