Well that cost me $80!!!!

pkinneb

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Its a beautiful day here in MN so time to get the convertible out for the 2 hour trip to get the new brake 

So thats thats the bottom line, wanting to take a top down road trip. B)

That happens so fast there probably isn't a mark on the clamp either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

So thats thats the bottom line, wanting to take a top down road trip. B)

That happens so fast there probably isn't a mark on the clamp either.

Nope no mark at all. Yep enjoyed the ride as well :D

50 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Well that’s not good, after two years what do you think made it trigger?

Operator error. I wacked it into the blade with one of the boards I had cut :o

Well that's gotta be one of the weirdest triggers ever.  Will you be getting just a single brake, or 2 so that you have a 'backup'?

I'm in year 11 of my Sawstop and I still have the original brake *knock on wood* so no pictures of messed up blades from me :)

• Like 1

Nah just one...I think I have had mine 5 or 6 years and this was my first trigger of any kind. Since I still treat it as a saw without the safety feature no sense in storing them.

On a sad note one of my friends on the home theater forum had a TS incident yesterday that will require surgery, stay safe folks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jfitz said:

2 so that you have a 'backup'?

I talked with SawStop when I first got my saw and mentioned that I was thinking about a back up brake.  Their response was don't do it.  The thinking is if you fired the brake because of a near miss with the digits it might be a good time to step back and refocus on what you did that created the problem and having to go to the store or order another brake will force you to take that time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Well, you know that the safety mechanism works.  Still a bummer, tho.

Exactly! Honestly it didn't bother me in the least I got a nice ride out of it and I know it works :) 

The fact that my friend had an unfortunate incident with a TS on the same day definitely helped keep it in perspective. His surgery went well but it sounds like he will be out of the shop for a few months.

On 5/3/2020 at 5:40 PM, gmercer_48083 said:

Can Sawstop recondition/rebuild the mechanism? Or must replace?

They used to ask for the brake mechanism back if it was involved in a flesh contact incident.  I guess the brake unit actually collects information as to what was going on at the time mechanically.

• Like 1

I had a real false trip. Was using a dado blade and had a trip on startup.  Sawstop took the brake, and found it tripped in the first 400 ms after startup (less than half of a second.  Could find no reason for the trip.  Since the blade had just been turned on and had not reached speed, there was no damage to the blade, and Sawstop replaced the brake. Were really nice to work with.  That was a couple of years ago, and no issues since, so something just weird, we couldn't find any reason for the trip.  I have still not tripped the brake other than this one time, so still on original brakes six years in (and I have two unused spares never taken out of the box yet.  

• Like 1