Two Boxes

Chet

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Excellent work, Chet! If you have any progress pics, I'd love to see how you formed the recesses under the handles of the first box.

Ross, I used my plunge router with two edge guides, one on each side of the lid and a two inch core box bit.  I plunged to a depth of 3/8 inch deep which gave me a 1 1/2 diameter recess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work! I really like the v-groove divider detail that is a nice touch.

This is super nit picky but an observation. On the cherry box I'm not sure how you did the bottom but my offering there is personally I don't like narrow pieces close to the outside. They always give the bottoms an odd look. If i need to use a narrow strip I find it works better in the middle as a separator between 2 wider pieces of material. I couldn't tell if the bottom was veneer ply or solid wood.

• Like 1

In the class Matt made the bottom from ply with a thin 1/16 cherry veneer on the bottom side.  On the interior side he likes to use fabric, I don't really care for this, I wanted to use cherry in the bottom of the box.  I didn't have any thin ply to veneer and I wasn't going to buy a 5 x 5 sheet just to finish my homework assignment.  So I made my bottom from solid wood using the rip and flip method to eliminate any cupping.  

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

personally I don't like narrow pieces close to the outside.

I have to admit your comment here made me go look at the box, I thought I messed up.:blink:  I made the two outside strips just a little wider so inside the box every strip was exactly the same.  If you are referencing the fourth picture down from the top for the cherry box I think what you are seeing is a shadow line.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

I have to admit your comment here made me go look at the box, I thought I messed up.:blink:  I made the two outside strips just a little wider so inside the box every strip was exactly the same.  If you are referencing the fourth picture down from the top for the cherry box I think what you are seeing is a shadow line.

Oh no I made a mistake, your grain match was so well for the other pieces I thought the bottom was one wide piece. I now see that there are a few pieces and all are nice and even in width.

I was looking before on a small laptop monitor from a long way away. Soo umm disregard that comment :) .