Drum sander

ivan wingo

This is a first for me, joining a forum and asking for help but I could use some advice.  I purchased a Ross 37'' drum sander, The rollers seam tight with  no play in them.The  variable feed motor works real good. The conveyor belt is fairly tight.But when I feed a door through it tends to get stuck and it gouge out like a planner would do. It also did it to a piece of Alder to. I was thinking the plywood on the bottom table might be worn down.If anybody have any experience with these machines your advice would be appreciated  your humble wood worker 

I have experienced this with my much smaller Jet 16-32 , for no explainable reason. Even when passing more than one evenly sanded pieces thru at the same time, one may stop and form the “snipe” type divots that you mention. When it happens, I continue to run that piece thru with a little help from the backside. 

On 1/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, lewisc said:

Welcome to the forum.

If it's getting bogged down, I'd assume you're trying to sand too much. Have you used one before this?

Lets see the first thing did was put the paper on backwards, and shredded it , taped the  paper down with  packing tape that didn't work. The answer would be no This is my first one, I also was in a hurry to see it work . The first board I tried I did try to take to much. Thanks for replying it's so interesting to get other opinions from other wood workers   

On 1/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, Tpt life said:

That is a beast of a sander that did not come with plywood. Any tables were built by end users. I would think that would cause drag and should be waxed like metal tables. 

I think I will try that, I felt under the belt it wasn't the smoothest Thanks for the input  

I have a jet 16/32. Once the grit starts to touch 5 or 6 inches of width I run the piece 2 or 3 times at the same setting until I adjust the machine downward. And the amount I adjust downward is tiny. Otherwise it bogs down. I adjust my thickness planer 3 or 4 times quicker.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matthams said:

I recently started to work on a new project and I had similar problems, but I solved them pretty quickly. My colleagues adviced me to buy an orbital sander, because it's very easy to work on large surfaces. It can be used for most sanding jobs, wood floors, furniture finishing, and polishing – making it a great, versatile tool to add to your collection. It’s super flexible, easy to use, and has a comfortable handle. It can be expensive for some people, but I think it's a great investment. As long as you find the best orbital sander for the job,  you will save lots of time and effort and furthermore you will likely end up with a far superior finish than you could achieve by hand.

The discussion was not about hand held sanders. Everyone of us here has at least three hand held sanders that are used for various reasons. This discussion was about Drum Sanders.  Do some research about drum sanders before you offer advise about hand held sanders.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chet said:

Ease up a little Richard the member you are quoting here is new.  Maybe give him a chance to get used to the flow of things around here.

Sorry Chet, but i find it hard to understand how someone can comment about something that is close but still very far from what the entire discussion was "obviously" about. Reading and comprehension is fairly good here, not so much in other places.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chet said:

Ease up a little Richard the member you are quoting here is new.  Maybe give him a chance to get used to the flow of things around here.

Just google the comments on this and the other threads where this "new member" has posted. Try with his comment on the "Protecting Lumber While it Seasons" topic...

And about his comment on this thread, see https://updweller.com/tool-reviews/orbital-vs-palm-sander/. He basically copied and pasted sentences from that blog post.