Chess Table

Awesome work Ron! I really like the look of the birch that you used. It adds a good depth to the small squares that isn't over powering. The walnut boarder is also very pretty that figure is catching the light quite well. This is timely as i have been commissioned to make a chessboard for my friend to give to his wife. What size did you make the squares for the field?

47 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

After a discussion with @RichardA ( thank you Rick )   I decided to cut a long, shallow mortise using the domoino machine into each border piece and use 2 dominoes end to end and sideways in the mortise

That is such a great idea. I love hearing about non- typical uses for the domino.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

This is timely as i have been commissioned to make a chessboard for my friend to give to his wife. What size did you make the squares for the field?

I used 1 3/4" .  This is a combination of a chess board that I have.  (Squares a little too big for my peices). And an on line search for square sizes commonly used depending on the sizes of the pieces.  Are you planning to use veneer? or make it like one might make and end grain cutting board?

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful!  The one downside, for me, is that I won't be able to show the chess table I currently have partially done. :(  How tall is the table?  The one I am working on will be 30" ish, and I have been wondering if that is I am on the right track.

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

Are you planning to use veneer? or make it like one might make and end grain cutting board?

I plan on using veneer. This is one of those projects that makes a lot of sense to veneer.

35 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

You do great work Ronn and this piece is beautiful, the walnut has some very nice grain and the whole table is in proportion, an heirloom for sure. Jan an I use the gift you gave us every day and am still in awe of your veneer skills

It was great getting to see Ron's work in person. He does an awesome job with veneer.

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I have done finish coats with a brush but am not familiar with "hake".

I saw the type of brush recommended for shellac work on a video somewhere. The bristles are very fine and it lays down a nice even coat. The brush is designed for water colors or very thin finishes.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 1:14 AM, Ronn W said:

This was a build for my dog agility instructor.  Somehow over the years, The chess table that had been in her family got lost or stolen.  She asked if I could make one for her and she wnated her parents initials in the top of the table.

In the following pics t he chess squares are 1/42" carelian birch and walnut on Baltic birch plywood  The frame is solid walnut.  The playing surface is 16 x 16" and the table is 26" square overall.  Frame is glued to the border with the addition of 3 dominoes along each side.  I changed the domino depth setting just a bit beween drilling the boards and drilling the frame so that the framewould be ever so slightly proud of the board.  So I could sand the frame downe to meet the thin veneer.  I wanted to do as little sanding on the veneer as possible. The frames's miter joinery is a little differnet.  A couple of typical dominoes along each miter was my first thought unitl I realized that the dominoes sticking out would not allow installation of the 4th side of the frame.  After a discussion with @RichardA ( thank you Rick )   I decided to cut a long, shallow mortise using the domoino machine into each border piece and use 2 dominoes end to end and sideways in the mortise.  This allowed enough clearance to insert the 4th side of the frame whil keeping the accuracy of domino alignment.   The side apron stringing is 1/32" wide and about 1/16" deep basswood.

legs and apron are finished with 2 coats of dewaxed shellac (rag applied) and 3 coats of Satin ARS - rag applied.  The tophas 2 coasts of shellac and several coats of GF water based poly.  I used a brush for the poly and got brush marks.  I snade them out and tried a sponge applicator got spnge applicator marks.  Resanded.   Many thanks to @Pkinneb who graciously agreed to spray the top with my remaining poly.  Turned out great.

About the initials.  A friend of mine that I met at a veneering class about 3 years ago has become very good and Marquetry.  He offered to cut the walnut initials into little carelian birch rectangles and did a great job.  I cut the rectangles to size and routed and glued them into the top.

I have a very happy clientchess-table-front.thumb.jpg.07b5e17589e1bc55fd610ef00e95e165.jpgchess-table-side.thumb.jpg.3998b17c0bd44830a0ab86025c11c5d7.jpgchess-table-drawer-1.thumb.jpg.70c05200e83d0f9a64d6c6d004cc8118.jpgchess-table-full.thumb.jpg.9689e33369dfeb64b9a389e26a498968.jpgchess-table-top.thumb.jpg.ad6bc120f50fdc8784faf25d7daac7b2.jpg and again thanks to those who helped.

Oh my! It's a perfect one. I hope that one day I'll can do the same(ofc not). Really nice job!