Kitchen job as ADVANCED Woodworking? WTF?

On 6/18/2022 at 5:20 PM, BonPacific said:

That's one hell of a job Joe. Did I read that right that you used a vacuum press to curve the stainless drawer pulls?

Yes, that is correct.  I made multiple plywood molds and sandwiched the bars between the two pieces and used vacuum pressure to bend the metal.  I over-bent the bars, and there was a degree of spring-back which I had to contend, and compensate for in the mold profile. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, Tom King said:

Very impressive.  Next time you can charge double.

No, no, NO.   I have kitchen cabinets far behind me in the rear-view mirror.  I only did this particular job because the client and the architect specifically wanted me to do the job.  I only agreed to do the work because they "made me an offer which I could not refuse."  No horse head in my bed, but they did put ample Benjamins in my bank account. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 9:36 AM, drzaius said:

That's a kitchen that is of the quality in both design and construction that will never go out of style and in 50 years still be interesting and beautiful.

...Until a new owner buys the house, and guts the kitchen because the new head of the house decides that they want their own design so they can make the kitchen "their own."   THAT is a primary reason for not liking to do kitchens, that and they are generally stupefyingly boring to build--this job being an anomaly.  I like building more heirloom pieces, even if they end up in a thrift store, they won't usually be dismantled.

I do appreciate your sentiments on the gig.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, joe mendel said:

...Until a new owner buys the house, and guts the kitchen because the new head of the house decides that they want their own design so they can make the kitchen "their own."   THAT is a primary reason for not liking to do kitchens, that and they are generally stupefyingly boring to build--this job being an anomaly.  I like building more heirloom pieces, even if they end up in a thrift store, they won't usually be dismantled.

I do appreciate your sentiments on the gig.

Maybe with some luck it will survive. I was involved in reconnecting a large bungalow built in 1956 (the year I was born) that had been cut in 2 for relocation. The was a beauty, a mid century modern through and through. the kitchen was still completely original right down to the linoleum countertops trimmed with aluminum edging. The house could have been a museum piece. That new owners loved it that way and maintained the originality as much as possible. the kitchen was really cool, but nowhere near the same league as the one above.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

See, now that up there is real craftsmanship!  I honestly do not believe I am capable of such beautiful work.  I just don't have the patience, or the eye for DETAIL that is required. 

I have always said, "I can build a beautiful redwood deck, a gazebo, or an awesome utility trailer or a fire escape, but don't ask me to build a grand piano, an RV, or a grand staircase!"

"A man has got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry

Joe

• Like 1

Congrats on your last kitchen :).  Kudos on the wonderful use of an array of skills on that build.  Bringing someone else's design to life adds an additional challenge.  It's a lot easier to draw those cabinets (although I'm not much good at that either) than to bring them into the real world.  Congrats again.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, gee-dub said:

Congrats on your last kitchen :).  Kudos on the wonderful use of an array of skills on that build.  Bringing someone else's design to life adds an additional challenge.  It's a lot easier to draw those cabinets (although I'm not much good at that either) than to bring them into the real world.  Congrats again.

Thanks, and you are correct.  The client just passed me a check,which is no small thing, but their appreciation is uneducated and purely reactionary to the visuals.  However, the architect whose vision I was a mere vehicle, knew what he had drawn and was really excited when he saw it live and in 3-D.  I think that is the response we as craftsman look for as affirmation, a positive critique by someone who can drawn it, but can't make it.   Or someone who can not quite get to the level you have attained, but understands it--like a baseball player with warning track power.   Thanks for the comment, glad you liked the completed project.