Platform for a Bathtub/Loveseat

Coop

Back in the early 70’s, I made a love sear from an old claw foot bathtub. Keep in mind the date so I have no idea how I got the idea. We are about to get it re-upholstered for the forth time and I would like to raise it up from the floor a few inches to make it sofa level and easier to dismount. Toying with the idea of making a platform the same shape and dimensions as the bottom of the tub as opposed to a simple rectangle. The rectangle obviously would be easier to make. Any ideas? Excuse the shoes! 

54D1244E-D12A-464E-9A44-FDC193C2275C.thumb.jpeg.f79c3bb4caca3a857a75b1d058b31e2e.jpeg

49AB8C0F-AB47-4702-8B58-0BD8674C94F8.jpeg

It only needs to fit the 'footprint' that contains the claw feet, right? And needs to raise the seat 4 to 6 inches, or so?

How about a short trestle base, the feet of which echo / emphasize the claw feet of the tub? I'm imagining something beefy, like the feet of a big slab table, but no legs, just the foot structure. The tub feet rest on the feet of the base, maybe in shallow recesses to prevent them slipping off. The feet of the base would be joined  by one or two stretchers that mostly sort of hide beneath the tub. Would give you an opportunity to carve some big lion's claws, so win-win! :D

• Like 2

Just a thoguht.  When people stand from sitting their feet are often very close to the fron of the furniture and sometimes their heels are under the front edge.  I would some up with a solution that leaves the space beween the front legs empty.   Good luck.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Immortan D said:

Can't think of anything that will end up looking good... If it's not comfortable any more I'd let it go or recycle it into something else.

That ain’t gonna happen. If my wife ever runs me off, this is the only item in our prenups that I asked for! :D Don’t even ask what the price for the upholstery will be. :( It is comfortable but it’s downsize is that where it is located in the room, the sloped back faces away from the tv. 

The trestle base is a good idea and would look good but a killer to clean around. The height difference from the top of the cushion and that of our sofa is 5” so making the cushion 5” taller wouldn’t look that good. 
@Ronn W, good point and I have taken that into consideration. The feet are set back about 2.5” from the edge of the seat. 
I was thinking of a platform base something like this. Excuse the rough drawing. 
A1E58C11-2F1E-4E0E-8428-FB8BF39D3AE8.thumb.jpeg.4c70778d4a9366fa3dc3c9b26fe133eb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So KISS. The design will be rectangular with a 1/2” lip to assure the tub stays on the platform. The tub is out for reupholster and will have it back before Christmas. I’m making the sides of the platform from some leftover walnut and the top from a slab of cherry that I’ve had laying around for years. Prior to the platform, I’ve had small circular furniture pads under the legs. The tub weighs a good 100 lbs. plus the weight of the body sitting in it. The platform will not go all the way back to the wall. I’m not sure there is a need for a bottom to this? My concern that since our floor is tile, that it will move back when someone sits or gets up. Anyone have an idea for a non skid durable material that I can add to the bottom?