The best safety minded upgrade for my shop?

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

And like the OG Eric used to say, anything less than a 5 HP dust collector basically just gathers the mess, it doesn't help with the harmful fine dust particles that Bill Pence has written extensively on.

It really depends my 3hp oneida does a heck of a lot more than collect the mess. That said digging in the the amp draw and tech specs the CV 1800 of ole was very similar in "collection power" to the 3hp oneida unit I have but it got a 5hp designation for some reason. Also a 5hp unit won't separate fine dust through the cyclone as well if you have a blast gate at each tool and only keep 1 open at a time. When running the drum sander I typically have 3 ports open. This feeds more air into the cyclone and improves separation for physics reasons. Not a big deal just something to be aware of. A 3hp unit should draw less power. May not seem like a big deal but can you tell where my DC was running?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.790c224504dda952111019bbbd9498e1.jpg

That said. I have a basement shop and one of those finger lopping horror machines as well and I'll take good DC every day. It's harder for my to justify the table saw as most of the cuts made one mine are cross cuts with a miter gauge. In fact i have an 80tooth CC blade mounted and haven't changed it for a good year and a half. This isn't protecting me from the saw at all but the amount of time i use it is significantly less than say my bandsaw. My dust collector fires up for every tool use.

Good dust collection is pretty valuable to me. I went from an unmodified HF unit to the Oneida dust gorilla pro and was amazed at the collection difference. There is a lot more to it than the power numbers. That said filter maintenance is still important. I have to take a leaf blower and clean out my filter 1-2 times per year but i never bang on it.

• Like 2

With a perfectly good saw, and being as safe as you say you are...DUST is your biggest personal risk enemy!  DC impacts every tool you have that can be potentially connected to it. I vote for the DC upgrade.

I came up with a setup for the bandsaw that made a huge improvement. Between the DC with the cyclone, and a shop vac with the dust deputy 2.5, it collects just about all the dust.

IMG-6078.jpg

IMG-6077.jpg

IMG-6072.jpg

IMG-6073.jpg

IMG-6070.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 12:28 PM, Chet said:

This doesn't change with a SS.  The safety feature on the SS is in addition to, not instead of being safe and attentive all the time.  Where the SS pays is for those unforeseen happenings.  Since having my SS there hasn't been a single time where I have turned it on and not had 100% respect for the spinning blade, I still don't want to try stopping in by using a body part.

Aye, yes, of course.  My point by that statement was that I am so careful with the machine that I think my odds of an accident are quite low.

• Like 2

Perfect example of risk vs. reward analysis.  Cutting yourself has a high cost, but the chance that it will happen can be largely eliminated by good safety practices, which ALSO reduce the chance of kick-back injury, more common than cuts.   Sawstop tech ONLY addresses the flesh-cutting situations (even then, only if you don't bypass the detector to make an otherwise impossible cut), and provides nothing additional to reduce kick-back risk, so you are still dependent on good safety practice. 

On the other hand, dust is an ever-present danger that is rather difficult to alleviate without good collection at the source. Safety practices should still come into play (wearable dust protection), but in the situation you described, IMO you will reap a greater benefit from the DC. Just don't be stupid when using the saw!

• Like 2

• bleedinblue changed the title to The best safety minded upgrade for my shop?

But then I think...what if I get the dust collector and then have an accident on my TS? 

Guess you answered that one.. I lost the tips of two fingers  making dados in 1985. 

“What if” is the real question..

I would never put a DC in front of my safety..

hand3.jpg.3767ea68410e67f6f31cf06479554f71.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 9:02 AM, legenddc said:

I believe OP is a police officer, that's why I was asking if he could do his job if he had an accident. I don't know the policies where he works but I imagine having a table saw accident to your hand could put him on desk duty or leave for a while.

Facts.  On the other hand, the way this career has been going...how many fingers would it take to get a full medical retirement?  <_<

On 3/31/2023 at 9:43 AM, BillyJack said:

But then I think...what if I get the dust collector and then have an accident on my TS? 

Guess you answered that one.. I lost the tips of two fingers  making dados in 1985. 

“What if” is the real question..

I would never put a DC in front of my safety..

hand3.jpg.3767ea68410e67f6f31cf06479554f71.jpg

Dang it.  Just when I was convinced to go with the DC.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:11 AM, bleedinblue said:

Dang it.  Just when I was convinced to go with the DC.

I guess one question is...have more individuals suffered "Cut Injuries" VS "Respiratory Damage" from woodworking???

But then again...an injured finger can heal...damaged lungs DON'T heal!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:11 AM, bleedinblue said:

Facts.  On the other hand, the way this career has been going...how many fingers would it take to get a full medical retirement?  <_<

Yeah I understand that. Was thinking if you couldn't work or lost overtime it might be harder to afford the next tool.

I get wanting better dust collection too. My list of tools purchases and upgrades is quite extensive.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:21 AM, GlennL said:

I guess one question is...have more individuals suffered "Cut Injuries" VS "Respiratory Damage" from woodworking???

But then again...an injured finger can heal...damaged lungs DON'T heal!!!!!!!

I’ve only heard of one lung problem in 37 years working in professional wood shops. His brothers who I worked at the shop with said his brother work in a vacumn clean of dust in his cabinet shop and asked for lung problems. Other than the the Davis brother , I have never heard of lung problem associated with the shop, I worked in the shop all this years and COPD , a light case from 35 years of smoking. 

Compared to saw injuries.. All  my years 10 table saw injuries to one lung injury..

Shops run DC to keep the  tools cleaned so you can work.

Its your shop, do what you want..

• Like 1

Lung problems that are due to materials, are largely dependent on the shape of the fibers, and whether or not they dissolve easily. There may be fungal concerns or chemical irritants, but you won’t have issue like with asbestos, because wood dissolves easily and does not typically exist in the long narrow fibers that get caught in the lungs. That is not an endorsement to ignore the dust, but is a caution to not just bow to fear mongering. I find myself wearing a respirator more, for lots of dusty tasks, but I find myself having asthmatic fits around certain dusts, even those not connected with woodworking. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:39 AM, Tpt life said:

Lung problems that are due to materials, are largely dependent on the shape of the fibers, and whether or not they dissolve easily. There may be fungal concerns or chemical irritants, but you won’t have issue like with asbestos, because wood dissolves easily and does not typically exist in the long narrow fibers that get caught in the lungs. That is not an endorsement to ignore the dust, but is a caution to not just bow to fear mongering. I find myself wearing a respirator more, for lots of dusty tasks, but I find myself having asthmatic fits around certain dusts, even those not connected with woodworking. 

If you look in many hobby shops you won’t even find a dust mask..

When I worked  at Blystone cabinets in Buckner, Missouri , Mike Blystone told Rick Yates after I stopped working there, that I had to be an idiot to have gotten my hand in the table saw. 2 years later Rick told me Mike got his hand in the table saw. Wonder what his comments are now?

My initial comment was just one vs the other. If you boil it down to just safety it's hard. My main question is can dust leave your shop and easily enter the rest of the house? If you have a lot of dust accumulating on furniture the color of the wood you work DC might help prevent lung issues of more than just you.

If the dust can't leave the shop, IE it's sealed someway from the rest of the house the TS might make better safety sense. If you want disability from work there is always bypass mode on the saw stop.

I'll just throw out this, the absolute best time to buy a mobile base is right before you set the saw down for the first time.  It won't get easier to do later.

And if the wife can be persuaded, maybe you can get the overhead dust arm, too.

• Like 2