What The Flush!

Mark J

What do you all know about toilets, as in we're building a new house and suddenly we have to decide on toilet technology.  Apparently the new thing is pressure assisted flushing -- something to do with using compressed air to give the flush water extra oomph.  Is this a gimmick, or a necessity for the necessary?  Does anyone use one of these?  Is it loud or, dare I ask, splashy (and not in a good way)?   Any help in flushing out some answers would be appreciated.  

Toilet tech is not of a universal quality. Both older style toilets in my home cycle perfectly. The pressure assist at school do not, and throw water out of the bowl quite often. This will need research into reviews of specific models. That all to say, design of the specific model is more important than the inclusion of that feature. 

• Thanks 1

I ran into one of those once yeara ago at the Grand Opening of the Wynn in Las Vegas.  The noise scared the begeebers out of my wife.  They must have really sound proofed the little toilet room because I did not hear it from the main room on the other side of the wall.    I am sure the tech has improved by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the toilets in my apartment have pressure valves that are at least 40 years old. They're noisy but quite effective. They also require little maintenance, but when they do it's far more expensive than conventional systems, and repairing them it's definitely NOT a DIY task, at least for me. 

• Thanks 1

Our present house has 1.6 gpf toilets and I think I've seen a few of them still available, but what I see the most are 1.28 gpf, and even a few 1 gpf units.  So maybe the new technologies are a necessary accompaniment to the reduced water allowance?

6 hours ago, bug_hunter said:

Not a fan of the reduced flow or two flow toilets.  Not sure of the pressure assist in a residence.  The only question I would ask is "How long have you been using a standard flow toilet successfully?"

Oddly enough about as long as I have been successfully (and happily) using tungsten filament incandescent light bulbs :lol:.   
Ahh, but progress marches on -- wantonly trampling happiness. 

The good news is that the code in effect when the permit was issued allows for 1.6 gpf toilets, so that's what we're going to get.  The bad news is that the direction codes are going is to 1.28 gpf and from what my brief research revealed, those will take some "technology" in order to sit flush with the old guard.  

Does code allow for that 1.28 gpf tank to be mounted at ceiling height, with a pull chain release? 

:D 

A little extra head pressure might make up for the reduced volume!

https://www.amazon.com/Renovators-Supply-Mahogany-Toilet-Elongated/dp/B00PUHGNDQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=High+Tank+Toilet&qid=1688957069&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

• Haha 2

My recommendation is to make sure you get a two piece toilet, not some fancy single piece like the previous owners of our house installed.

I had a slight leak at the fancy flapper mount and the replacement part was going to be $75-150. Thankfully I was able to tap a bigger hole in the part and use plumber's putty to stop the leak from the tank to toilet. On a normal toilet that would have just been a $7 kit.

• Like 1