Sandpaper vs Card Scraper

Hammer5573

I'll agree that this is not a one or the other sort of thing.  My current project has some finish-ready surfaces done with a hand plane, some with a scraper, and still others with sandpaper.  None of these are more advanced than the others.  You want to use the best tool for the job whenever possible. :)

17 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

Thanks for the comments. I guess the reason that I posted this question was because I somehow got the idea that some woodworkers shun the idea of using sandpaper. Glad to hear that I was wrong. 

I avoid it but mostly because i don't think there is as much a place for lower grits for solid wood furniture, with exceptions. A hand plane or scraper is faster and more efficient at bulk smoothing and doesn't round edges like a ROS tends to. I guess maybe it's just more engaging so the time goes faster or isn't as boring? Either way standing holding a vibrating sander is boring as all get out imo, and the challenge of using a smoother or scraper right keep me engaged with the work.

Then again I'm a bit more on the shun sandpaper side and am willing to accept the look and feel of a hand plane finished surface. If any of you get to see some of the tables I've made in person be warned. All of my tables have plane tracks and tear out that while minimal are not hard to find. For work that leaves my house I'll finish with a card scraper or plane and then jump strait to 150 or 180 grit. I don't have any paper for my ROS below 120.

Also the term cabinet maker sucks. I get your talking about a high end solid wood furniture maker. While technically that's a "cabinet maker" everyone jumps to boring case work like kitchen cabinets.

The person that made this is more what meets the definition of a cabinet maker.

972166818_Glensheen051Share.jpg.dfdb072b0059e14076390d5083a456e8.thumb.jpg.ab0c805b1067a8d10782541b814d9e24.jpg

• Like 2

Commercial cabinet maker, a residential Cabinet maker and furniture maker are not the same. . 

I’ve done all three professionally and each have different needs.

There is  also a huge difference between being a one man professional shop and business with many employees.