Best Finish for an Office Desk in a semi-punishing environment?

Hugaluga

I'm building an office desk with a hevea (rubberwood) butcher block top for my kids. They are young kids so I expect plenty of scratches, crayons, and carelessness. I still want it to look good and match our decor so I'm using a walnut stain on it (actual walnut wood is expensive in my region and hevea was cheap).

What kind of finish you would recommend for a good mix of durability and aesthetics? I was going to go with an oil-based Polyurethane, but I'm hearing that hard wax oils or ceramic coatings might be better fit. Unfortunately I know very little about them.

Been using my desk daily since Covid. It's walnut ply with Arm-R-Seal and I see limited wear. The walnut top with Arm-R-Seal right by our front door has a few scratches after years of keys, cups, tools, etc. being tossed on it over the last 5+ years. Not enough that anyone besides me notices. My wife isn't very gentle with it. I've been quite pleased with how it's holding up.

• Like 1

Semi gloss or satin. I know I have both but can't remember which I ended up using after testing it.

My coffee table is Arm R Seal and pretty high use and has been holding up pretty well since February (I think). I know it has one scratch on it and some dings on the legs. I have a 6 and 8 year old who color, write, build Legos, etc. on it. We rest our feet on it, put drinks on it, you name it.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your detailed and thoughtful responses. This is a really cool community!

Big shoutout to JohnG for sharing pictures of his experiment. Very enlightening to see the real-world results over time!

It sounds like I have some good options. I'm going to see what is available in my area.

1 minute ago, Hugaluga said:

It sounds like I have some good options. I'm going to see what is available in my area.

I've used General Finishes Arm R Seal (ARS) as well as Minwax Wipe On Poly. Wipe on poly is 95% as good but can be easier to find and sometimes is cheaper. If you can't find ARS give Minwax wipe on poly a shot.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, curlyoak said:

Ronn and legenddc, Is your finish high gloss, semi gloss or satin?

I will often seal with shellac before applying ARS.  I usually do 1  or 2 coats of gloss then Satin as final coat.  Application with foam brush.

LIght sand with 400 grit - just enough to smooth the surface.  I pour some ARS on the surface and spread it around to cover the entire surface paying close attention to the edges.  Spreading over the entire surface eliminates any dry lines and give you time to tip off the surface lightly with the foam brush.   I use full length strokes from left to right,  daubing the excess off the sponge brush into an absorbent paper towel after each stroke.  Over lap the strokes.  Use sponge brush to clean up any over flow at the edges.  Only takes a few minutes to do an exective sized desk.  And with 400 between coats. Usually 2 coats does the trick - depends on how much grain texture you want.

• Like 2