Linen Cupboard Doors

gee-dub

On 11/20/2023 at 3:46 PM, gee-dub said:

SWMBO says it shall be sepele. Ever since I built her a buffet out of sepele she has been hooked on the stuff.

I have to stand with her on this, I used it on my Morris chair and it has been pretty high on my list from that time on.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, pkinneb said:

I need to switch my jigsaw to a cordless model that would make it so much more user friendly for breaking down stock. I typically find another way as apposed to pulling it and a cord out.

Agreed. If you’re already established on a battery system, just keep an eye out for a black Friday sale on that brand. That’s how I ended up with the one I have, it was some sort of buy the batteries and charger and get a free tool or something like that. Since I have a variety of other, Ridgid tools that made sense for me. I have a corded Bosch barrel grip that I use when I need an accurate jigsaw, so I wasn’t really worried about the cordless one as it would be just for rough work like this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gee-dub said:

...This makes all my horizontals nearly 5" longer than I originally marked out :o

It hurts a little with more costly species, but I've developed the habit of making the initial rough cut to a bit larger than the maximum possible dimension for each part, for exactly this reason. Plus,it eliminates a lot of math....

On 11/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, pkinneb said:

I need to switch my jigsaw to a cordless model that would make it so much more user friendly for breaking down stock.

I don't know what battery family you have but the Milwaukee M-18 cordless jigsaw is a beast at breaking stock down.  Fast and lots of power, even with 8/4 stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:07 PM, gee-dub said:

When I am milling parts to final thickness that require more joinery later I make a spare...

Great advice!! I usually do but on my current project did not and then proceeded to bugger up a piece ;) 

30 minutes later I had a new piece ready to go would have been much quicker to make a spare while I was milling the originals. I did an extra leg not sure why I skipped the extra stretcher. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 4:52 PM, gee-dub said:

groove and profile the frame and see how things look.

I really like the design so far.  Your wife has good taste when it comes to design and wood selection and it seems she selected a good husband that can execute her ideas well. ;)

• Like 1

want to stop and start the groove leaving a shoulder for more long grain glue surface for the tenons.
HallwayLinenCabinetDoors(31).thumb.jpg.02f4a16920632ec1d6a3c65fa51a15df.jpg
Good thinking. I’m working on a similar built project now where I cut the groove on the ts all the way across for simplicity’s sake and wish now, I had left shoulder room like you did. Every little bit of glue contact surface helps. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 1:07 PM, gee-dub said:

When I am milling parts to final thickness that require more joinery later I make a spare or, in the event of large parts, mill some scrap to the same dimension

I do the same thing. But sometimes I use up the spare and need more, So I find a scrap and mill 3 sides including one face. Then if it is not too wide, I rip on edge for an oversized thickness, I then take it to the thickness planer which is already set for thickness from planing the previous boards. It takes one pass.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 8:31 AM, Chet said:

I don't know what battery family you have but the Milwaukee M-18 cordless jigsaw is a beast at breaking stock down.  Fast and lots of power, even with 8/4 stock.

And the Bosch Progressor blades that you turned me onto, compliment the saw nicely.

• Like 1