New Addition to the Shop

Ron Swanson Jr.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. Helical head is amazing!

I love my new 8" Grizzly. I'm currently building a project using a bunch of my re-sawn oak. The slabs started as 10", and are now 9-1/2". Dang, I wish I had got a 10" jointer...lol Got to cut everything down to 7-3/4"...lol

I hated to spend the money too, but sure glad I did.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, Coop said:

That”s sweet Ron! Looking forward to a review. 
I’ve had a 6” for years and every once in awhile, wished for an 8” but I’ve just settled to ripping an oversized board, jointing and glueing it back together. 

@Coop my  20ish year old 6" Delta, good old girl that she is, might have the worst design flaw in the history of the machine. This roll pin that sticks up proud of the table works with the cutterguard. (And if you think you can just pull it out, think again. I've literally lifted the entire machine trying to pull that dang thing out) so I've never really had a chance to test this out. 

But. Here's my question. If i had say an 10" piece to face joint, couldn't i just set the fence to 5", run it, flip the board around and joint the other side? Like what you would with a wide panel in a drum sander?

That stupid little pin has prevented me from trying it but i was thinking about that today. 

(Or to be sure you don't overlap in the middle, maybe leave 1/16"or so in between the 2 jointed halves, and then clean that up with a hand plane.)

Am i off base in thinking that would give me extra capacity for wide boards? 

IMG_20231129_202502314_HDR.jpg

On 11/30/2023 at 6:41 AM, Tpt life said:

IF…he can remove the pin. 

The pin is a non issue as that machine is being replaced with a new one Saturday.  The subject of this post has shifted (my fault) but the reason for the post about the pin is that the pin always prevented me from trying different ways to joint wider boards. 

My new jointer won't have that limitation so I'm looking for new strategies to try. 

Edited by Ron Swanson Jr.
Added more detail
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 5:44 AM, wtnhighlander said:

You can use such a half-width pass to create a flat section, the place that flat against a strip of mdf as a sled through the planer to make the opposite face flat and parallel, then flip the board, rmove the sled, and plane the remainder of the first face to match.

Thanks, great suggestion. I've made do flattening wider boards in the past by skip planing and/or using a sled but these posts give me more ideas and strategies. Appreciate it! 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 5:44 AM, wtnhighlander said:

You can use such a half-width pass to create a flat section, the place that flat against a strip of mdf as a sled through the planer to make the opposite face flat and parallel, then flip the board, rmove the sled, and plane the remainder of the first face to match.

Being stuck with a 6" mochine, I use the half pass and sled trick often.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:39 PM, roughsawn said:

Ron, too bad we didn't put our heads together sooner. We could have bought a 10" together, and jointed the bejabbers out of lumber. Keep it here...of course...lol

I think we can still make that work! Just drop off your half of the loot, and I'll take it from there! 

I was originally going to buy an 8"Jet while the sale was going on. 

Well, i dragged my feet too long and missed the sale so I ended up buying another 6" and what happens later that day?

They bring the sale back. 

I have been thinking about maybe talking to the store and making the switch. This Oliver is supposed to be top notch and has a lot going for it, but that 8"table looks so inviting. I'm probably stick with what I've got but I'm at least pondering it. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:02 PM, roughsawn said:

I hate to give you buyer's remorse, so please forgive me, but if you can make the switch...you will never be sorry that you got the 8".

I was going to say this very thing.  You don't want to be using the 6 inch jointer and alway thinking about how you came to having a wider table.  On the other hand Oliver has a very strong reputation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, Chet said:

I was going to say this very thing.  You don't want to be using the 6 inch jointer and alway thinking about how you came to having a wider table.  On the other hand Oliver has a very strong reputation.

Thanks fellas. Needless to say, I'm thinking long and hard about it. 

On 11/29/2023 at 7:38 PM, roughsawn said:

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. Helical head is amazing!

I love my new 8" Grizzly. I'm currently building a project using a bunch of my re-sawn oak. The slabs started as 10", and are now 9-1/2". Dang, I wish I had got a 10" jointer...lol Got to cut everything down to 7-3/4"...lol

I hated to spend the money too, but sure glad I did.

Hey I have a 12 inch................. powermatic jointer so if you want to send those slabs my way I will be sure to put them to good use.

• Haha 2