New Addition to the Shop

Ron Swanson Jr.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, Chet said:

I was going to say this very thing.  You don't want to be using the 6 inch jointer and alway thinking about how you came to having a wider table.  On the other hand Oliver has a very strong reputation.

Well...

I couldn't shake the feeling that i had talked myself into living with another 6" machine, and of course you guys made some really valid arguments. 

So i just got off the horn with Woodcraft and switched my order to the 8" Jet. 

I went through my lumber rack last night and just started looking at every board i had on hand and the vast majority are too wide for a 6", but would be fine on an 8". 

I appreciate the advice on this one, from everyone. I feel better going with an 8", especially with a split top Roubo build coming soon. 

Thanks all. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 6:44 PM, Coop said:

Ron, I just received an email that Rockler has 15% on all Jet tools. Hopefully Woodcraft offered you the same? 

Thanks @Coop! Yes they sure did. This is their Black Friday sale which ended a few days ago. After it ended, and I missed it, I decided to go with the 6-in. And of course as soon as I made that purchase then they bring the sale back. Story of my life lol thanks for looking out!

• Thanks 1

Admitting that I have next to no expertise in this area, would using surface 2 side lumber be another solution to the narrow jointer problem?  The highschool shop where I've been working buys S2S 4/4 lumber.  After rough length they go right to edge joint, then rip, then plane to 3/4".  So no face jointing, even though they have a big 12" Powermatic jointer.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:38 AM, Mark J said:

Admitting that I have next to no expertise in this area, would using surface 2 side lumber be another solution to the narrow jointer problem?  The highschool shop where I've been working buys S2S 4/4 lumber.  After rough length they go right to edge joint, then rip, then plane to 3/4".  So no face jointing, even though they have a big 12" Powermatic jointer.

That's called skip planing and it's certainly a technique that many ppl use. 

There's 2 main ways to go about preparing stock, at least to my understanding. 

1 is to skip plane as you've described. The results will depend a little bit on how flat one of the two faces is to begin with. It's not the most accurate method out there, but it also preserves the boards thickness. 

The other way is to use the jointer to flatten one reference face, put that face against the fence and joint the side grain. With 2 reference surfaces established, then ripping to width will give you 2 nice parallel edges, and planing to desired thickness will take care of the other face. 

This is more accurate than the other methods is, but if you're not careful that 8/4 board you started with Will end up being 1/4 when you're done! :)

So that's a really long way of saying YES that can be a good method, Mark, but like everything else it has it's pros and cons. 

--Doug

On 12/5/2023 at 8:20 PM, pkinneb said:

Sooo did we get the new jointer home? I don't recall seeing pics :D

Not yet! The 6" Oliver that i had originally purchased -that machine was physically at the local Woodcraft store. But when i switched to the 8" Jet, it had to be ordered. I'm having it shipped to the store and not my house and I'll have to pick it up there. It's really difficult for me to make arrangements to be home for s delivery of that size on short notice. . I hope it shows up so i can go pick it up this weekend, but will have to wait and see! 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, legenddc said:

Congrats on the new jointer!

I just walked down to my shop to see if my old Ridgid jointer has that pin. It appears it does have it but the previous owner (or me and I forgot) hit it down to be flush with the table. I just tapped it up a little and back down flush.

Good deal!

I mentioned this earlier but the pin in my Delta is so completely stuck/fused in place you can pick up the machine by it, a tiny bit with pliers. That thing owned me the times i tried to remove it. I eventually gave up trying. 

On 12/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

Good deal!

I mentioned this earlier but the pin in my Delta is so completely stuck/fused in place you can pick up the machine by it, a tiny bit with pliers. That thing owned me the times i tried to remove it. I eventually gave up trying. 

Have you tried pushing it down? Not that it matters at this point with that 8" jointer on the way.

I'm surprised that "The other rockler" was concerned about getting it loaded in your pickup. I bought my Powermatic 15HH from them which is larger and heavier than well the 6" Oliver but maybe not the 8" jet. They have a nice ramp that they used to roll it right in my pickup bed and I drove away.

0828191711.thumb.jpg.0d177188ed02a71b2bb5beebea7f3d37.jpg

A cheap block and tackle set or come along can make unloading easy too.

• Like 1

The guy i spoke to seemed... A little fussy about it. I'm in trucking so i deal with freight everyday. He said that they could only get the forks from their pallet jack under the broad side of the crate on that Oliver. Ok, no big deal. I said 'Well can you just set it on my tailgate and I'll spin it around' and he said that would be "much too dangerous". 

Which had me scratching my head. In his defense maybe he didn't understand what i was asking or something. 

I wasn't about to argue with him by phone about it. My plan, in it's entirety, was too show up with a come along, some ratchet strap and a2 Wheeler, and worst case scenario tell them to leave it on the end of the dock and I'll figure it out myself. Lol. 

It looks like the Jet comes in 2 crates - base and unit, so hopefully he won't be as concerned. 

I'm hoping to get a call from them today or tomorrow

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

It looks like the Jet comes in 2 crates

That is the way my 8" Powermatic came.  The crate that the jointer itself was in was a bite of over kill size wise.  Everything was packed well but I think with a little planning they could have shipped two in the same crate.  Maybe it was a generic crate that they use for different tools.

• Thanks 1

Ugh. Just got off the line with Woodcraft and the machine is in the dreaded backorder status. This wouldn't be an issue for MOST people, because most people aren't dumb enough to sell their current machine until after the new one arrives. Unfortunately, I'm not most people.

Jet said early February but WC website says shipping date is around March 7. 

Either way, i can stop holding my breath. 

• Sad 2