Your Thoughts on Forum Features

Hey folks. Our forum has been here for a while now so I'm sure many of you are pretty clear on the forum features that you do and don't use. First and foremost, this is meant to be a forum. Everything else is just gravy. But sometimes, too much gravy can be bad. So this is a bit of an informal poll to find out what you like and what you don't. I'll list the features below and give you my initial thoughts on them. When you reply, please list out your thoughts on each feature. Again, nothing is being done just yet but I'd like to hear your thoughts before I make any official decisions.

The Forum: Well, like it or not it's here to stay. :)

Blogs: This is a place for people to create new blog posts. But from what I see, it's more like a place for people to simply import their blog for re-posting here. If people are actually reading these blog posts, then it's all good. But if we are just importing for the sake of cross-posting and no one actually reads them, then it's a feature that can go.

Calendar: I usually put Wood Whisperer events into the calendar. It's redundant since we have a full calendar on the TWW site. But it's here so I use it. Does anyone even pay attention to the events in the Calendar?

Gallery: While I don't think it is used to its full potential, having a place to post your work is essential. So I hope the software-maker continues to improve the Gallery for us. But I can't see any reason to get rid of it at this point.

Member Map: Good, bad, useful, who cares? 

SketchUp Library: I always thought this was a cool idea. But I'm not sure how many people actually use it. Obviously SketchUp has its own 3D Warehouse for sharing Sketchup images but it seemed like a neat idea to have a forum library. But again, looking for opinions. Posting is fairly infrequent but it does look like some folks are downloading the models. 

*New* Chat: You might remember when we first starting using this forum software, I enabled the chat room. It was a pretty slick feature but it was clear that it wasn't being used much. So I killed it. The software is now a few versions older so I decided to re-enable it. Our chat room on the TWW site leaves a lot to be desired so this might be a good alternative. And for folks who are trying to help one another here in the forum, it might be a good way to talk in real time for the sake of hashing something out. The forum has a limit right now but if it's a feature people want, I can always have the limit increased. Thoughts?

Obviously, some folks just don't care. If that's the case, let me know. But if you have a strong opinion about one feature or another, please express it here. Thanks my friends!

First off thanks for taking the time to maintain and moderate when needed.

Blogs: I only click through the link in members signatures to view their own blogs. I have not felt the need to look at the blog section of the forum.

Calendar: I don't really notice it but I guess it would be good for some.

Gallery: Good fun and it's great to see peoples on/off topic images. Would really like to see even more.

Member Map: At the risk of sounding like a stalker I like this feature. It's cool to see where everyone hangs out.

Sketchup Library: Can't remember the last time I visited.

Chat sounds interesting, might be cool to have a real time conversation. Does this kind of thing involve a webcam? 

The Forum: I guess the king has spoken on this one.

Blogs: I don't use it as much as I'd like to.

Calendar: I have no upfront use as of right now, but if it's not taking up too much bandwidth or disk space, I see no reason to rid of it.

Gallery: One of my favorite features. I love looking at picture of projects, or anything related to the process of woodworking.

Member Map: Useful, but not useful at the same time. How many people are on there that do not visit the forum anymore?

SketchUp Library: Again, something I wish I used more. But I sadly do not use SketchUp that much at the moment.

Chat: I haven't used it yet, but if it is available to me right now, I am going to investigate it right after this post.

The Forum: Love it!  Probably wouldn't be here to respond if I didn't!

Blogs: I've never seen the value.  Folks link their blogs in their signatures, so they can be found if desired.

Calendar: I've never really payed much attention.  Take it or leave it.

Gallery: This is a feature I would love to see a redesign.  I think people use it when they need to load stuff, but it would be nice to see it used more like a personal body of work for others to see.  Maybe this is how it was designed in the first place, but I don't find it structured too well for this kind of thing.  This would probably require massive storage, and a general buy in from the members, but I could see myself enjoying flipping through others projects from time to time.  

Member Map: Looked at it once, went "oh neat", never used again.  Probably not worth the software to maintain it.

SketchUp Library: If possible, merge with the gallery.  Allow a folder structure that housed both the project pictures, short narrative and plans/sketchups.  It would be an awesome resource when starting a new project, especially if the search engine was robust enough to find projects.

*New* Chat: Typically chat just happens in the forums.  I can't speak for others, but I don't see a lot of value in a chat format that isn't available in the forum format.  

Love the forums though!  Keep up the good work.

Chat sounds interesting, might be cool to have a real time conversation. Does this kind of thing involve a webcam? 

Nope. The service is just a basic chat with the ability to drop in hyperlinks.

Gallery: This is a feature I would love to see a redesign. 

Unfortunately, we are limited to what the software developer produces. So we can make certain requests, but obviously we're just one of thousands of end-users. They only implement what they feel is broadly useful. I and many owners of the same software have expressed our dislike of the current Gallery system. It works, but it isn't very friendly or fun to use. Lots of room for improvement there. 

Unfortunately, we are limited to what the software developer produces. So we can make certain requests, but obviously we're just one of thousands of end-users. They only implement what they feel is broadly useful. I and many owners of the same software have expressed our dislike of the current Gallery system. It works, but it isn't very friendly or fun to use. Lots of room for improvement there. 

Break out your inner-geek and get cracking on some PHP, MySQL, HTML, and CSS!

The Forum: Awesome!  Not much else to say.

Blogs: Interesting, but I dont' go there a whole lot except if something pops up in a search. It seems to me that if someone were interested in blogging, they would find their own favorite medium or site. This would be near the bottom of my list.

Calendar: I'm torn on this one.  I really want to use it and count on it, but I miss so many events (live) because I'm either still at work or on the way home that you could tattoo the calendar across your forehead and it still wouldn't help me out much.  Except for a good laugh.

Gallery: I do like the gallery but don't go there as much as I'd like.

Member Map: I don't think it's bad, so I'll call it good.  It's interesting to see who is where, or who is nearby - but I've not really "met" anyone based on this.

SketchUp Library: I think this is an idea that still might have potential.  Although a lot of people use SU, it seems to me that a lot more people keep talking about "getting into it".  As it picks up more steam, especially with new woodworks,  this could be and interesting place for models of equipment and shops, as well as a repository of projects or mini-projects (how-tos for different joinery techniques, for instance).

*New* Chat: I didn't even know it was there - I must have missed it.  Having it under the "More" drop-down menu certainly doesn't make it front-and-center.  Now that I know I'll start to keep an eye on it.

SketchUp Library: If possible, merge with the gallery.  Allow a folder structure that housed both the project pictures, short narrative and plans/sketchups.  It would be an awesome resource when starting a new project, especially if the search engine was robust enough to find projects.

I like the idea of the SketchUp Library and wish it was used more. As a newbie I find seeing other people's design really helpful for how to design things and inspiration.  Chris idea of having it a project library where you can combine the sketchup files along with photos and notes is something I'd love to see if people would post their projects to it.

I use the forum daily, and I occasionally view the gallery. The other features I don't use. But I would like to thank you for your hardwork in keeping the forum for us! I also view almost all of the podcasts on your main site. I also love woodtalkradio.

Thanks again for your efforts. They are appreciated, and I spread the word every chance I get.

My only opinion is for the Blogs. Being new to woodworking I found out about a lot of blogs through that but once I found them I had no reason to go back. I think that it would be great if it was just a page where a blogger could go give a quick summary of their blog so newbies can find it easily. A blog reference page if you would. Then there could be some kind of sign or alert for new blog post. 

The Forum: here to stay.

Blogs: I just entered a single post, but never followed-up.  I just don't seem to have the time to maintain a blog.  Maybe someday...

Calendar: I usually just check the guild calender or wait for an eMail.  I have enough calenders as it is...

Gallery: I plan to take some photos someday, but again, haven't had the time.  I'd keep it.  It's great to see what others have done.

Member Map: If there were more TWO/Guild members in Northern NJ, then it might be useful...  Right now, I don't use it at all.

SketchUp Library: Don't use it -- 3D warehouse has all I need.

*New* Chat: Don' think it's a good idea.  While can provide instant answers, when someone comes along later to search for help with a problem, there is no history.

The Forum: No issues with it from my stand point.

Blogs: I am guilty of just using it to auto importing my own blog in.  I have gotten one or two replies to it.  However, the import can be a little weird at times.  I would not miss it, and would prefer to see the traffic on my own blog anyway.

Calendar: I use your google calendar as I can pull it in on other devices easily.

Gallery: I have posted a few items to the gallery, but since I started my own blog, I tend to post my project pics there.

Member Map:  I do use this, and check every few months to see if anyone in my area has joined.  I think if it were more visible, more would use it.

SketchUp Library: I haven't used it too much, but then I like drawing my own sketch-up plans.  I guess I should pop a few of them out there.  ;-)

*New* Chat:  As one of the chat regulars, the IRC concept works well, its the web interface that is the issue.  My concern is that now that we have gone to IRC, and most of the regulars using a dedicated IRC client, it may be difficult to pull back, and would fear losing some of the regulars in the chat as well.  While it is not for everyone, we have given quite a few people assistance and have even helped convinced a few to join the guild.  Perhaps looking for a better web enabled client for IRC maybe the better path at this point.

The forum is fine I've gotten pretty use to the layout and how it works , I think it's one of the better operating system ( i'm not a geek ) as far as forums go .  I'm with Mike on the chat room , the IRC works fine we have a good group of regulars there that help so many members out with problems , be a shame to see that go .

The Forum: I rarely use the forum, but sometimes I read it. I wouldn't touch it in any way.

<no opinions about the middle parts - I don't use any of them>

*New* Chat: A better web IRC client might be the answer. I am not sure if the forum chats are cursed, but every single one of them I have used before has come and gone at some point; and that regardless of the topic. I like the chat as it is, and I use mIRC. I hear there are other clients that are just fine. For those that think a chat linked to this forum would be nice, dare to venture on the current TWW chat and see how you like it. There is no need to register, just drop in and say hi. Just don't call yourself woodfan.

cheers,

wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

The Forum: Love it.

Blogs: Never have accessed it and probably never will.

Calendar: Sort of a dinosaur. All I use are paper calendars.

Gallery: I love the gallery for the inspiration and it gives you a good idea of a person's capabilities.

Member Map: I really haven't studied it much and haven't felt the need to reference it since I first viewed it.

Sketch-up Library: Never use it.

New Chat: That's GREAT. I will definitely check that out.

All I can do is echo the kudos and thank you to you Marc. This is the best forum going.

The Forum: Love it!  Visit it every day.  It became especially useful when I discovered the View New Content button.

Blogs: Don't read.

Calendar: Don't read, really didn't know it was there.

Gallery: I like it.

Member Map: Kind of cool.

SketchUp Library: Don't use, but then I find SketchUp to require a whole bunch of time to get proficient at it. 

*New* Chat: Not really aware of what this is or how it works.

The Forum: I like it and am glad to hear it is to stay

Blogs: I started blogging on here and make a point of not just copying the source data from my own personal blog - I actually compose it and format it previewing before I publish. I'm not keen on the blogs that contain source code (all the raw html - you may have seen them starting with <p><a href= and a heap of undecipherable stuff after it) from their own blogs as they become unreadable. I do read other peoples blogs produced the regular way on the site avidly. If somebody has taken the time to write the blog then I will read it. I hope that this function stays but won't be too disappointed if you decide to get rid of it.

Calendar: I don't use it as I use the RSS feeds on the main site and the guild site.

Gallery: I like this and see it as a great place to get ideas and see other peoples work.

Member Map: Useful 

SketchUp Library: I have just started contributing to the library and I nearly always download other members models. That said there is always 3dWarehouse (that I contribute to too) so if this goes I would not be disappointed.

*New* Chat: Didn't know it existed and can't say that I would use it much.

Overall the entire site is great and I would like to thank you Marc for it. As other members have said this is the best (and friendliest) forum for woodworking on the planet.