New table saw extension and cabinet

Madkrafter

My garage space it TIGHT! I had some extra material in my way from another project. When I bought the Melamine (technically Roseburg Duramine), I intentionally overbought because I wanted to build a cabinet under my table saw extension. I actually rebuilt my extension table, adding 6" making it 42". I then built the cabinet with drawers and router space. 

I added supports under the table that acted as dividers for the router space. I mimicked those dividers in the cabinet below to close off the spaces. I built the cabinet separate from the table with leveler feet so I could raise the cabinet up to the extension table. I added some rigid foam tape to seal the spaces.

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-02.jpg

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-03.jpg

I put a 4" hose through the back and modified a 90 degree elbow to wrap around the router when it's dropped in

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-06.jpg

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-07.jpg

The completed cabinet is a great use of space in my tight shop. The cabinet measures 42" wide, 30" deep and 30.25" tall. I added slider trays to the two small drawers which keeps things close-at-hand (table saw stuff on the left and router stuff on the right) as well as a hanger for my fence on the side.

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-01.jpg

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-04.jpg

Table%20Saw%20Cabinet-05.jpg

Good job! Very nice use of space. Where did you get the Canadian general?

When I lived in Phoenix I found a General Dealer. When I went to look at it, he was selling it out of a barn?! I can't remember why but it didn't seem shady enough to NOT buy it  :ph34r:

It was a great big green tool, so I had to!

• Like 1

When I lived in Phoenix I found a General Dealer. When I went to look at it, he was selling it out of a barn?! I can't remember why but it didn't seem shady enough to NOT buy it  :ph34r:

It was a great big green tool, so I had to!

Cool! I was just curious.I didn't know what kind of presence general had in the U.S

Re: slider trays.

if you put the slider trays on full extension slides and cut out the back of the drawer just to allow clearance for the slider tray  you gain more useful space. When the entire drawer is closed it automatically pushes the slider tray back in place.

if you put the slider trays on full extension slides and cut out the back of the drawer just to allow clearance for the slider tray  you gain more useful space. When the entire drawer is closed it automatically pushes the slider tray back in place.

Interesting idea. I would imagine the slider tray would have to have light weight items in it for the self closing force to push it back forward. 

That looks like a great set up.  I have a question about your router. I have the same model. Doesn't look like you are using a lift. Are you able to make height adjustments from above the table?

Sorry for the delayed response. Since the forum upgrade, I've had many posts I'm following not notify me of responses. Edit: I clicked follow (again) before posting this reply. After submitting this reply, I checked and had to click follow again!

It's an old Elu router I've had for... a LONG time and no lift - it's old fashioned! I have to open the door and reach in to make adjustments and lift the whole thing out to change bits. It's a PITA but with many of the lifts being router-specific (or just routers I don't have), I can't afford to replace a perfectly good router with a new router AND lift.

I like what you did and the shop looks great..I think the center top draw is fake and on a hinge to get at the router.

Thanks. The center one is a door on a piano hinge. My OCD made me center the knob like the other two! 

Great idea Steve. The trays were kind of an afterthought.

Edited by Madkrafter

New to forum ,but cannot view images...only smiley faces.. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Yeah, I can't see the images either in Tapatalk. I've cleared the cache and all I still see are blank spots where the images go??? (click the settings wheel, click Settings, under Advanced Options... on an iPhone. For Android, there is a clear cache button: (Settings -> Apps -> Tapatalk)

Welcome to the forums, loxobussle! Sorry you are having difficulty, but Tapatalk does show images correctly on my android phone. As madkrafter said, clear the cache. If that fails, do a 'force stop' on the app. That's under system settings on android, I don't have an iOS device. Pay require a full power off to stop it.

Welcome to the forums, loxobussle! Sorry you are having difficulty, but Tapatalk does show images correctly on my android phone. As madkrafter said, clear the cache. If that fails, do a 'force stop' on the app. That's under system settings on android, I don't have an iOS device. Pay require a full power off to stop it.

Thanks I seem to have solved the problem. .:mellow:.I have looked in on some usefull discussions specificly dust collection ...thanks guys.!! Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk