Workshop Coming to Life, Finally

wnaziri

I had planned to build a workshop but our Secretary of Commerce (i.e. wife) informed me that we should probably sell our current home now that our youngest started college.  Smart.

So, while trying to sell our current home, I did not want to go a couple more years without a place to set up a workshop.  After prolonged and patient search, I have finally found a great interim solution for the next few years: a 1250 SF rental space (25 x 50) that has 3 Phase power, small office, heat / air, and a functioning bathroom.  Price was also right.  Talk about a great Christmas present.  I am applying epoxy on the floor now.  The walls will be painted pure white later this week.  The electrician will install a sub panel and outlets next week with dedicated circuits for each big tool.   

I would like to get ideas on how to arrange my tools.  I realized that I will have lots of great ideas AFTER I start working there.  In the meantime, I would like to at least have a reasonably good layout because I don't relish the idea of having to move my tools.

I have accumulated my tools one at a time over the past 18 moths by scouring auctions and CL. I was initially going to get all Griz but I thought I could do better both in quality and price with exercising patience.  I have bought these tools at phenomenal prices.  For each tool, I tried to buy the very best tool I could afford within a price range.  Some / all of my tools may be overkill but on the positive side, I don't think I will be able to blame my tools for any mistakes I make!

My tools: 14" small bandsaw, 20" bandsaw (1" blade; hate to change blades, will be for re-saw and straight cuts), Shaper, 12" Jointer, 24" planer, Northfield #4 table saw with rack & pinion fence (will be my daily table saw), a 10" Delta Unisaw dedicated for dado work, dust collection system, and a variable speed Powermatic lathe.  My shop will also have an assembly table as well as a workbench.

The band saws will face the shaper in the middle so that I can use the 36"x 36" shaper table as outfeed table.  The jointer and planer will be close together.  The two table saws will be against each other so that table extensions can also act as outfeed tables.

workshop.thumb.png.c2774cb0793f31994ab89

Whatever you do, be flexible. I've mad 5 or 7 different plans in the griz shop planner till I found one that looked great on the computer. I set the tools up today and really don't like how it feels. I'm going to do a project with it like that before changing but in my old Marine corps  words, Semper  Gumbi. Always flexible.

Semper  Gumbi. Always flexible

I plan to be flexible.  However, I have this fear of developing a hernia if I try to move them more than once. :)

Curious ... why is everything jammed up top in the shop?

Well, after I did the floor plan on Grizzly site, I also thought there was bunching at one end of the room.  I am hoping someone who has set up a workshop can share thoughts on how to optimize the space.

Keep us posted!

I plan to document the process.  I am so excited to be at this juncture.  I can only imagine how nice it will be to have a dedicated workshop for the very first time in my life.  I am guessing it will take me a bout 3-4 weeks to get situated.  1.  Floor and walls this week.  2.  Move the tools into place, set up the dust collection system.  3.  Move all my lumber from storage into the shop.

Then, first two projects will be Workbench and Assembly table.  Can't wait.  Here is the before pic of my workshop:

Shop.thumb.jpg.362691825618cb3dddfe9d685

• Like 1

Great space. I can't imagine thinking you can set up your equipment from a sketch and making it last. I realize you have to have a starting idea but only time will determine the final destination. I would recommend everything be on some sort of casters, if nothing else to prevent roids and to facilitate cleaning around and under! Good luck to you and enjoy.

I've got to disagree. I have noticed that when having tools on casters and Mobil carts, 1) they move when you don't want them to and 2) they vibrate more. With a space that big, you shouldn't have to move things often once set. Having the room under the tool is a place for dust, dirt, and crap to go . 

I plan to be flexible.  However, I have this fear of developing a hernia if I try to move them more than once. :)

Well, after I did the floor plan on Grizzly site, I also thought there was bunching at one end of the room.  I am hoping someone who has set up a workshop can share thoughts on how to optimize the space.

I plan to document the process.  I am so excited to be at this juncture.  I can only imagine how nice it will be to have a dedicated workshop for the very first time in my life.  I am guessing it will take me a bout 3-4 weeks to get situated.  1.  Floor and walls this week.  2.  Move the tools into place, set up the dust collection system.  3.  Move all my lumber from storage into the shop.

Then, first two projects will be Workbench and Assembly table.  Can't wait.  Here is the before pic of my workshop:

Shop.thumb.jpg.362691825618cb3dddfe9d685

Im excited for you man, i look forward to seeing this come together. 

Made a little progress today: Finished the epoxy on the floor.  I used a light gray Sherwin Williams water based epoxy and it seemed to work rather well.  

Next: paint the walls and new lights (a bunch of 8 FT fluorescent lights, which will be the most bang for the buck).

ShopEpoxy.thumb.jpg.e79f8ddb178058689bfa

I like that you went solid for the floor. Those epoxy kits with colored paint chips make me crazy - how would you ever find a small part dropped on the floor?

I ge the premise, but in reality, it's not that bad. I had the garage epoxied at my last house. They laid down the charcoal epoxy, when it was tacky, they used a compressed air blower with the flecks in the hopper to spread red/white flecks.  Once the epoxy dried, their flooded it with the protective top coat them added the texture little sand looking things.  It wasn't like an explosion of color, you actually had to look for it or you missed it. 

How did you apply the epoxy?

I used a roller.  When talking to folks at Sherwin Williams, they suggested using 3/8" roller.  It worked well.

I like that you went solid for the floor.

I had never before applied epoxy on a floor.  So, I really did not even consider any kits with color chips.  The way it turned. I really like the uniform look of the floor.  In, general, I want my workshop environment to have really clean, bright look and feel.

Today's task was to apply a protective coat on top of the epoxy.  I let the epoxy cure for several days.  After some back and forth with folks at Sherwin Williams, I elected to use their Armorseal Rexthane.  I had never heard of it but it sounds amazing looking at the specs:

ARMORSEAL REXTHANE I FLOOR COATING is a high solids, single component, aliphatic, moisture cure urethane, VOC complying, moisture resistant industrial floor coating. This urethane coating cures to a high gloss and chemical resistant film equivalent to two-part urethane coatings.

Impact and abrasion resistant

Chemical resistant

Resists yellowing

VOC compliant

Fast "hardness" development

What really sold me on this stuff was that it is not slippery.  The biggest drawback: MSRP per gallon is $327.00.  Ouch.  I used 2 gallons.  On the positive side, they give me a nice discount. 

The Rexthane is applied and we shall see how it fares.

UrethaneCoat.thumb.jpg.0762782b000f24d37

Next: start placing tools in the workshop.  My plan is to set up the 3  phase outlets AFTER I know where each tool will start.

The,  I will paint the walls over the next few weeks, after all the tools are positioned.

Today's task was to apply a protective coat on top of the epoxy.  I let the epoxy cure for several days.  After some back and forth with folks at Sherwin Williams, I elected to use their Armorseal Rexthane.  I had never heard of it but it sounds amazing looking at the specs:

What really sold me on this stuff was that it is not slippery.  The biggest drawback: MSRP per gallon is $327.00.  Ouch.  I used 2 gallons.  On the positive side, they give me a nice discount. 

The Rexthane is applied and we shall see how it fares.

UrethaneCoat.thumb.jpg.0762782b000f24d37

Next: start placing tools in the workshop.  My plan is to set up the 3  phase outlets AFTER I know where each tool will start.

The,  I will paint the walls over the next few weeks, after all the tools are positioned.

The floor is looking great. It better last a long time for that price! Cant wait to see that space filled with tools!! Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little more progress.  

Look at what showed up today, my Northfield Trio: shaper, table saw, bandsaw.

NorthfieldTrio.thumb.jpg.8c9808734db3294

It took good part of the day to secure and move these 3 monsters.  These chess pieces will be positioned in the workshop tomorrow, hopefully.

Setting up my workshop is taking longer than I anticipated but I am loving every minute of it.  I can not believe I am trading my Dewalt contractor saw for a Northfield No. 4!