Adirondack chair build

logos

So this will be my first project journal.

I have been wanting to do one of guild builds. I showed the options to the lady and she gave the thumbs up on the chairs.

I had a bit of Kaya and sapele in my wood rack so decided on a combination of the two species

Took me much longer then I anticipated to mill up the 40 + board feet due to some twisted boards and the shop vac connected to my planer having a breakdown.

Love the dewalt 735 but the blades really do dull quickly. I think I might do the shelix upgrade in the near future.

This has also been my first chance to use my sawstop and it is exceeding all of my expectations!

Ill try and update this with progress pics but this is where I'm at now after a day and a half of making saw dust!

Thanks!b1017dde6f6f0f021d4093a8d16848af.jpgd5ed9bd048c8c89968040aa822002bde.jpgbe4da426835950effeb00bb8b25da39f.jpgp>

93a13de4334bab43c5ab959ceb50707a.jpg

• Like 1

Using this thread to chronically my progress pics.

Had the last 2 afternoons to start the build.

Slow progress but moving forward.

Had a few "doh" moments but was able to fix my mistakes with minimal swearing so that was cool!

Also set off my sawstop cartridge when I forgot to reposition my miter guage while using the dado blade. I needed a new dado blade anyway.

Really can't recommend the guild videos enough!

039f89f9f96c6b0dfae4c6f34bbcc926.jpg8abfa9cbe73def1383054f2727af24b4.jpg

Some more progress. I am really enjoying working with sapele! It kind of reminds me of an exotic walnut.

A few mess ups but looking at this as more of a learning experience! I'm enjoying the trouble shooting process.

One of the my tenons on the lower back brace is a bit loose. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take some sawdust mixed with glue and put it in the mortise on the final glue up?

Thanks!adf86420df4de03d91321c6f27ec1e9f.jpg78d066aa23b27ae6fc5337aa14453732.jpg64eb0647fb53be83da842564919cb936.jpg

• Like 1

On May 10, 2016 at 9:33 PM, logos said:

Also set off my sawstop cartridge when I forgot to reposition my miter guage

I set mine off with my miter gauge also, only it was my cross cut blade and the miter gauge was new and I had mis-aligned it.  Now when ever I re-adjust any jigs I run it up against the blade with the saw off to see if I get any lights.   And you are right it is hard to see were it hit.

1 hour ago, logos said:

Some more progress. I am really enjoying working with sapele! It kind of reminds me of an exotic walnut.

A few mess ups but looking at this as more of a learning experience! I'm enjoying the trouble shooting process.

One of the my tenons on the lower back brace is a bit loose. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take some sawdust mixed with glue and put it in the mortise on the final glue up?

Thanks!adf86420df4de03d91321c6f27ec1e9f.jpg78d066aa23b27ae6fc5337aa14453732.jpg64eb0647fb53be83da842564919cb936.jpg

I wouldn't do the sawdust thing on a part that is going to support weight or stop racking, especially on outdoor furniture. Glue thickened with sawdust isn't really a strong structural fix, it's merely a gap filler.

You can take a piece of shop-sawn veneer and glue it to the cheek of the tenon, then trim the tenon back down to size.

You could also use some good epoxy. That would be more of a structural fix, I think.

The project is looking great by the way...

Great advice! It only a bit loose so epoxy it is. It's an outdoor chair so lots of good reasons to use epoxy.

I've be doing doing the same now when I reposition my jigs. It was cool to see the saw go off but only need to see it once to believe it works

I will use thickened epoxy at times when I get a tenon that doesn't fit the way I'd like it to..

Project is looking great!

How do you thicken the epoxy? Is it a ratio thing or do you add something to it?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, logos said:

Great advice! It only a bit loose so epoxy it is. It's an outdoor chair so lots of good reasons to use epoxy.

I've be doing doing the same now when I reposition my jigs. It was cool to see the saw go off but only need to see it once to believe it works

How do you thicken the epoxy? Is it a ratio thing or do you add something to it?

Thanks!

I use West Systems and they have several types of filler that you can add to it.  Although I've never tried it, I suppose you could use some fine saw dust to thicken it..  Not sure what others use?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress and a screw up this week.

I made the mistake of working with a cold and not paying attention. I need to remember to be more patient and not work on delicate areas when I'm not in the groove.

Anyway I routed beyond my margin and now I'm left with 3 options.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

1: Make the other side match

2: Inlay a rectangle piece and reshape it

3: make the entire arm narrower 4ee24dfa572a708e2f5248208503b37d.jpg907ba4d80319d62c6587bd8192c1bd33.jpg68c1ad0e995dcc3422aeb4345092bdd3.jpg90afb87acf011b40df4d6b2d5d032598.jpg

1420da89255cac602a129ceee58740ad.jpg

4 minutes ago, logos said:

Well that's certainly the easiest option. Not crazy about the huge rabbit, but might look ok once it's finished a bit

Thanks!

You could trim the outside a bit as well so that the rabbit doesn't look "huge".  Trim it to how you like it, make it your own!

• Like 1

The beefy arms are one of my favorite parts of this chair and wouldn't want to thin it to much.  If it were me,  I would proabably attempt to make the detail in the bad arm, look more like the good arm.  That is straighter then deliberate curves. If you like how that looks, make the other match.  From what I've seen, that detail looks to only be there to give it the g&g inspired multiple layers step down.  I don't remember it being critical for anything else.  Use some artistic liberty and make it your own. You are the only one that will know it wasn't as designed. 

• Like 1

The beefy arms are one of my favorite parts of this chair and wouldn't want to thin it to much.  If it were me,  I would proabably attempt to make the detail in the bad arm, look more like the good arm.  That is straighter then deliberate curves. If you like how that looks, make the other match.  From what I've seen, that detail looks to only be there to give it the g&g inspired multiple layers step down.  I don't remember it being critical for anything else.  Use some artistic liberty and make it your own. You are the only one that will know it wasn't as designed. 

Are you recommending making the bad arm straighter by shaping the rabbit straighter and then making the good arm match?

• 2 weeks later...