Lumber storage question

Gixxerjoe04

Finally about to try and get my shop in order, first thing was to get my lumber racks up and get all my stuff out of the way.  I have two sets of the portamate racks that can technically hold 100lbs per level. https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Portamate-PBR-001-Six-Level-Organizer/dp/B004DGIZMW

Since I'm in a garage in a basement now, the ceiling height is probably 8-9 feet I'd say, not 12' like my last garage.  Was thinking of stacking them since I have one good studded wall to hang them from since the back wall has a staircase and awkward shape and the other side is concrete.  Do you all think having two racks stacked like that, with a ton of weight, would be bad for having them on the same studs?  I could probably fit them in the back area depending on the length of that wall, don't have a clue what to do with the space under the stairs, but I thought about building a wall from the farthest support beam to the wall, and have my dust collector walled off in the corner, then having my lathe in the other space to help with dust and chips flying all over my shop.  Any insight or suggestions?

Here's all my lumber, and the odd shaped wall.

BFE783FE-1680-4839-AF71-2FD6DDFD38E6_zps

I have insane amounts of weight on my racks. I used lag bolts to secure my racks and they're rock solid. I do prefer the shop-made plywood and 2x4 racks but my Portamates have done fine too.

Finding more space for a growing lumber collection is a never-ending challenge.

Can't remember what length lag bolts I used before, 1/4" x 3-4" i believe, they worked well, was just afraid of having two sets on the same studs, don't want crap to start breaking haha.  Hmmm, now I just gotta think where to put them, the original wall I planned to is nice and open, perfect spot for anything really.  That back area under the steps isn't very useful unless I do my plan of building a wall to cut off my dc and lathe, decisions decisions, need to make one soon so I can get started.

I used to have a lot more faith in the strength of studs until I saw a tree branch wrecking ball through some as if they were toothpicks. I'd spread that weight over as many studs as possible if I were you. In fact for the storage in my shed I bought an extra rack, put up the additional vertical supports and tossed the bars. Those bars take up way too much space anyway. I have fewer "shelves" but I pile them high. More space efficient. Portamates have too few verticals and too many bars.

Yeah that's true but it makes you realize that a stud's strength is really only in supporting a vertical load. It's like the difference between carrying a small kid on your shoulders compared to holding one out in front of you like if he had a load of poop in his pants. Think of the difference in strain those two scenarios would exert upon your back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah that's true but it makes you realize that a stud's strength is really only in supporting a vertical load. It's like the difference between carrying a small kid on your shoulders compared to holding one out in front of you like if he had a load of poop in his pants. Think of the difference in strain those two scenarios would exert upon your back.

An interesting analogy. 

• Like 1

If the weight you are asking the studs is "questionable " and you have an available concrete wall (retaining wall of some sort?) Then just hang your shelves on the concrete wall. Use tapcons instead of wood screws. These are readily available at any home center all you will need I'd a correctly sized masonry bit (the box of tapcons will tell you what size) and a stout corded drill (hammer drill). I have done it with a regular cordless drill but it takes a while and if hard on the drill.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The concrete basement wall isn't ideal where it's located and length, in the pic I posted, that back wall area would actually work pretty well for lumber storage, mainly because I didn't really have a plan on what to do about the space under the stairs.  The wall I was gonna put the racks would be taking up a decent wall and work area.  The red rectangle was my original thought of putting my racks of lumber, green is where I'm thinking now, I can just offset them so one rack is on one set of studs and the other rack will be on another.  Still have to get new outlets ran which isn't going to be fun or cheap.  Goal for this weekend is to get my shop in somewhat order and get an electrician out next week to run a new sub panel into the garage.  I also thought about putting cabinets I have near the garage entrance door need the door openers and possibly building a miter saw station with those there since there would be a good amount of room for long pieces of lumber.

garage_zpsxcvzhqck.jpg

Should work out good, just need the other rack.  I've got a lot of barnwood in the corner, need to get it out of the way and will use that space for random live edge pieces and whatever large pieces that won't work on the racks.  Of course when I was putting the racks up, the first one, somehow one of the lag bolts broke off half way in the damn wall.  Don't know how it happened but I broke a pair of some type of players, had to take a hack saw blade off and use just it to cut off the part sticking out of the wall.  Then had to move the racks up a couple inches which is a little bit of lost space.  Need to get my butt up to get the rest of my shop in its place so I can have the electric ran.

Joe this thread helped convince me that i needed to do something with my wood pile. Saturday i spent probably 7 hours organizing and building a storage rack for my construction type lumber. And because the internet is pointless with out pictures.

Chaos:

13726808_10101047182509989_6784388852442

Clean and tidy:

13754524_10101047182604799_3390014136209

Thanks for the motivation i can now park in my garage :) .

• Like 1

Chestnut, you mentioned "construction type lumber", as in 2x's? Over the years and thru many projects, I have saved 2x's and 1x's for the next project. Put them upstairs in the attic of my garage/shop. When the next project comes along, I buy what I need, forgetting what's in the attic, and the left overs, Yep, go in the attic. When it gets cooler, I'm getting up there and cleaning it out and offering it to the road side peddlers. That migh reduce your stash by 50%.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Chestnut, you mentioned "construction type lumber", as in 2x's? Over the years and thru many projects, I have saved 2x's and 1x's for the next project. Put them upstairs in the attic of my garage/shop. When the next project comes along, I buy what I need, forgetting what's in the attic, and the left overs, Yep, go in the attic. When it gets cooler, I'm getting up there and cleaning it out and offering it to the road side peddlers. That migh reduce your stash by 50%.

I like the way you do projects! I like the peddler idea but I'd prefer to watch it burn so when i gear up to move it's big fire time.

Well the middle part is pine the bottom part is all hard wood timbers and the top is 1x8 redwood i have a good amount that are 14-16 feet long the shortest are 7 feet.

If you dont want to drill into your studs or block, you can always search for steel racks. They hold a ton of weight(designed for holding steel), and they are stand alone. They are very expensive, but go for pretty cheap at auctions and craigslist. I have one and like it alot.