Home Center Plywood

Beechwood Chip

2 questions:

When the Home Center guy helps you load three sheets of 3/4" maple ply onto the roof rack of your car, do you tip?  When I was 50, I just muscled them up by myself, but now that I'm 57 I'm willing to ask for help.

Where in Philadelphia should I be buying 3/4" ply for shop furniture?  The Home Center stuff is $50 a sheet and isn't bad, but I assume that real woodworkers don't buy their lumber at Home Centers.  I generally buy fewer than 6 sheets at a time.

As for the first question, you don't need to tip them, but it is appreciated.  Most people don't tip, because they feel it's their job.

I am not sure of the second question.  There is Fessidan Hall, but I think you need to be a registered contractor or cabinet shop.  Not sure what that takes.  You could also check Mr. Roberts.

Tips aren't factored into their wages like restaurants do, so it's less imperative. I'd say if they went out of their way to help in some way I might offer a tip, but as Chestnut mentioned, they'd probably have to refuse it. Loading plywood and lumber seems like just part of their job, though I've only gotten help loading (12ft roofing panels) once.

The folks at my local Home Depot are pretty nice.  It can take a while if I'm waiting for someone to cut some lumber or help me load.  This time I was smart.  When I got to the cash register I asked for someone to help me load, and the cashier asked over the PA for a "lot attendant".  Then I checked out, paid, and went through security.  Asked the security guy if I could leave my cart while I got my car.  Went to get my car and backed it in to the loading area.  By that time the lot attendant was there directing me in and telling me when  to stop.

The time before, I didn't realize I wanted help until I got to my car.  That did not go as smoothly.

7 hours ago, Pug said:

BTW, debit it HUGE in Canada.  Not sure if its taken off in the states as much.

Here, debit and credit systems carry different levels of protection. I carry a debit card and run it though the credit card server because of some peculiarities in protection. Companies like to try to force debit as debit does not cost them a per use fee, but that is going away as debit just isn't popular. I think most people just don't like punching a code in at a public place. 

• Like 1

I only use strait credit. The consumer benefits are just too worth it. I stopped using my debit card when i was 18, probably the best thing i did. When i started needing it i had a excellent credit score with no effort. Credit scores are a joke in my opinion as well but it's a game almost all of us have to play unfortunately.

Debit is huge here as well Pug, out of my friends maybe 35% use credit, no one uses cash.

5 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Maybe I was just getting trolled but, I was asked by the really small female cashier at home depot if I needed help out to my car while carrying one of those homer buckets full of electrical fittings. Maybe she was looking for a tip.

Or just the tip... 

See what I did there?  lol

• Like 1