vinnyjojo

Domino 500 - chair build

So irked about my Snafu with the arms. That grain pattern was so perfect for the arms....

The backside isn't so bad at least

Made the angle on the upper back brace with the table mounted jigsaw again, with the workpiece shimmed up on an angle. Finished the rest a rasp, file, and sanding. Blew right through my pencil and sharpee edge lines, but hopefully it won't make too much of a difference. When I line up the back slats, I might need to fine tune a bit for a flush fit.

Clamped up my half lap glue sandwich. I put my caul (sp?) blocks in sandwich bags so they wouldn't glue to the workpiece. Easy solution.

post-15261-0-15882000-1404746308_thumb.j

I never thought I'd finish the arms and upper back brace...but they're COMPLETE....and add a rabbiting bit and modeler's rasp to the ongoing ledger.  With all the gear and various bits I've had to buy, this is becoming the six million dollar chair.

I feel like I'm rounding third.  With only 15 minutes here and there in the shop, I can only get so much done, but it's home stretch time!

post-15261-0-58068900-1405705506_thumb.j

Knocked out one of the brackets. Added a little extra detail of my own. This was one of the more zen parts of the project for me.

post-15261-0-09412500-1406256127_thumb.j

Legs domino'ed to the arms this morning. That one had to be exact to avoid a crooked chair. Beauty of the domino is that I always seem to get it on the first try.

Built the little jig to line up the seat slats. We're starting to look like a chair!

One more arm bracket and the butt slats, and it's time for screw placement and plugging.

What a journey for my first real woodworking project.

post-15261-0-66121900-1406388248_thumb.j

post-15261-0-36064300-1406388264_thumb.j

• Like 1

Both brackets and butt slats complete.  All pieces cut and lined up.  Ready for sanding and roundover.

I'm really not looking forward to pillowing all those plugs....

post-15261-0-24892100-1406659431_thumb.j

post-15261-0-35465400-1406659437_thumb.j

• Like 1

Absolutely - I used that method for that G&G garden bench I made a few months ago.  20 walnut plugs!   I had a Henry Ford-esque assembly line of sandpaper set up, and it STILL took forever   :)

I honestly couldn't imagine doing it by hand.

• Like 1

ugevyvut.jpg

Today was template day. Lots of flush trimming with tempered hardboard.

Should make short(er) work when I make chair number 2 one day.

Stacked and Rubber banded, not much of a footprint in the shop. 6e2evyte.jpg

Looking good ! I have learned to write myself a lot of notes on templates, which router, which bit and what sequence they were used in. Things like cut the domino slots while the board is still square, if that makes it easier.

• Thanks 1

Most importantly, save and protect them when you're done.  They'll come in handy again one day.  I usually hang mine on the wall.

Wow those look awesome. One of these day's I'll have to try my hand at a pair of Adirondack chairs. I have the perfect place for 2 of them.

2 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

3 and a half years later...it’s done!  

No matter how long it took the outcome is great.  Well done.

Vine, damn nice looking. You mentioned, back in this thread when you were younger, a garden bench you had built. My search capabilities aren’t what they should be. Do you have pics or links to the bench?